Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas party :(

Options
  • 10-12-2013 6:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm trying to give up booze lately, and I have my Xmas party on on Thursday night, something i REALLY don't want to go to, as it will mean I'm in a situation that I don't want to be in (I don't like the people I work with particularly, find these things awkward), and I really don't want to be around a free bar when I'm somewhere I don't want to be in in the first place.

I can't for the life of me think of a way out of this. I'm recovering now from a bad weekend, I wont feel normal again till thursday again probably and if I go to the party I'll be back on the roller coaster again.

What can I say? I don't want to tell them I've drinking problems, I don't want to go and not drink, I just want to relax and enjoy not being hungover and finally being over last weekend.

I just can't think of what to day :(. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Say you are sick!

I can't go to my work party because I am genuinely sick.

• Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭Carrie Madshaw

ill be at work all day, they'll know i'm not sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Can you not say you have a prior engagement ?

How about sorry, I can't make it, other commitments. No excuse necessary.

Lame excuses will always trip you up when someone asks about them, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Christmas parties are something that alcoholics / sensible people / human beings of a grown-up disposition in general avoid. Even when I was on two bottles of whiskey a day I skipped them. You'll find that your CEO / biggest cheese on the block will show for one drink then make an excuse about babysitting. That's part of the reason he/she got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

ill be at work all day, they'll know i'm not sick!
    I know the feeling with these things having to go. I have one Thurs and will be getting a few sneaky NA beers from different bar and legging it early. No words said as I leave.

You could also say you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

I know the feeling with these things having to go. I have one Thurs and will be getting a few sneaky NA beers from different bar and legging it early. No words said as I leave.

You could also say you are

....on antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm in the same situation this week. But quite simply I dont drink. No issue with drinking in the past but just dont like it anymore and its working for health reasons. I'm also put off by going and having to explain why I'm not drinking to everyone for the night !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just dont go, what are they going to do/say? They are your work mates not your mates.

I wont be going to mine, waste of an evening to me. Much rather be with my own friends tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just dont go, what are they going to do/say? They are your work mates not your mates.

I wont be going to mine, waste of an evening to me. Much rather be with my own friends tbh.

Im not going to mine - just said I didnt want to. Who cares what they think?

This is the Non-Drinkers forum but it could just as easily be in After Hours. Apart from office bores, everybody despises office Christmas parties. If you're successful, you will emerge unscathed and still have a job worth showing your face in come January. If you fail, you will either lose your job or dread returning to it and the shame you brought upon yourself.
    This will not be the fault of alcohol. There are no guns to heads with Xmas parties and plenty of valid reasons to not attend. Antibiotics, babysitting, cancer in the family, daughter in school play. Thats just ABCD. I used "kitchen roof fell in, place flooded" one year to duck some similar tedious occasion. You need the weather with you for that one though.
    Xmas parties are a voluntary test. No prizes for winning. The pub regulars thinking you're a twat for being there. The losing part is P45 territory. And every photo is forever on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Just say you`re going then don`t turn up and say something came up. If you don`t want to go don`t go!

h2005 wrote: »
    Just say you`re going then don`t turn up and say something came up. If you don`t want to go don`t go!

Quoted for truth. No kitchen roofs or anti-biotics involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

How'd it go?

Advertisement