Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching providers with the same router

Options
  • 10-12-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope somebody might be able to help me with this query.

I currently receive Metro broadband from Digiweb. I have their Thomson modem connected to a Cisco/Linksys EA6700 router. The ethernet outputs on the Linksys feed three devices. The fourth output feeds to an older wireless-disabled Netgear router, which goes on to feed a further three devices. Everything is working fine.

UPC have been bugging me to consider taking their broadband. If I was to switch to either their Horizon box or a standalone modem, would I be able to keep my home network as it stands by simply replacing the Digiweb modem for the UPC modem?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes. Just set up the horizon and configure it to what you have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr. G wrote: »
    Yes. Just set up the horizon and configure it to what you have at the moment.

Not quite true. It sounds like the OP has a thompson functioning purely as a modem and the EA6700 to run the network. With horizon you cannot bridge so you'd have to double NAT and degrade performance. The way to bypass this is to pay an extra €45 to get the EPC3925 along with the Samsung Horizon box and bridge that over to the EA6700.

Advertisement