Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that only made sence to you as an adult

Options
  • 10-12-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

For me it was some poetry, I was reading O stony grey soil by Patrick Kavanagh recently, as a teenager I though It was boring beyond belief but now I see what a brilliant poem it is, maybe you have to have lived and realise how complicated life can be to appreciate some things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Right wing politics. After a youth full of lefty stances against everything I gradually began to realise that right wing politics does have some good points.
    I still find that realisation hard to swallow and even harder to admit. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Realising that, provided they are not doing anyone else any harm, there is really no virtue in having strong opinions on how people should live their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That life costs and you have to pay.

That it never gets 'easy'. You just get more done for the same effort.

That other people are important, and in ways you could never have imagined.

That patience is not a virtue, it's a skill.

The biggest realisation though, is that none of that information would have been if any use to me as a young fella...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

OldGoat wrote: »
    Right wing politics. After a youth full of lefty stances against everything I gradually began to realise that right wing politics does have some good points.
    I still find that realisation hard to swallow and even harder to admit. :(

Hmmmm, that sounds like something Mary Kenny the journalist might say.

Now, things that only made sense to me as an adult...........well for me, its just about everything my mother said right after she said the words, "mark my words...." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Have to agree Jellybaby, I was about to post something similar. At this stage of life I now realise that my parents were right and did have my best interests at heart. Pity I didn't cop on at the time, it would have saved manys the row ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jos28 wrote: »
    Have to agree Jellybaby, I was about to post something similar. At this stage of life I now realise that my parents were right and did have my best interests at heart. Pity I didn't cop on at the time, it would have saved manys the row ;)

The rows are important. All part if the process. The best lessons are hard learnt...

endacl wrote: »
    The rows are important. All part if the process. The best lessons are hard learnt...

So true, Enda, so true .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you dont get kicked back two steps to take one you'll learn nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Thing that makes the most sense now - Worry only about the things in your control.

No point worrying about things you have no control over, it is a total waste of time and head space. If you have control over what is worrying you then do something proactive about it.

Layinghen wrote: »
    Thing that makes the most sense now - Worry only about the things in your control.

No point worrying about things you have no control over, it is a total waste of time and head space. If you have control over what is worrying you then do something proactive about it.
    I'm going to make that my New Year Resolution !

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    I'm going to make that my New Year Resolution !

Pop that on a New Year Resolution 2014 thread. Although......my last year's list, still applies. :o

^ Will do !

Oooh, I can already see all the good intentions coming now. :)

Advertisement