Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug purchasing/importing

Options
  • 10-12-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there is a central source of information for drugs being imported or purchased in Ireland? Not licensed but actual units being imported for use in the country? I presume customs would know of medicines but maybe not specifics of which medicines?

Specifically BCG for intravesicle use. I have heard that there is a global shortage due to a continuing mold contaminant in one of the two manufacturers production facility. I'm curious to know if Ireland is getting any of the limited supply and if so how it is being distributed.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I think the Irish Medicines Board would probably be your best bet for this. I do not think they would have information about number of units being imported but manufacturers of medicines are (I believe) required to notify them of any disruption of supply or when a medicine is not marketed. If this is the product you were looking for information on, it appears as "Temporarily not marketed" on the IMB site. Contact details for the IMB are available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

penguin88 wrote: »
    I think the Irish Medicines Board would probably be your best bet for this. I do not think they would have information about number of units being imported but manufacturers of medicines are (I believe) required to notify them of any disruption of supply or when a medicine is not marketed. If this is the product you were looking for information on, it appears as "Temporarily not marketed" on the IMB site. Contact details for the IMB are available here.

Thanks - any idea what the "temporarily not marketed" means? Not available for anyone in the country or not being marketed/sold by distributors?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks - any idea what the "temporarily not marketed" means? Not available for anyone in the country or not being marketed/sold by distributors?

I'm not sure to be honest, but I would imagine it means no new stock is entering the Irish market. To get into specifics I'd say you'd need to contact the IMB or the licence holder/manufacturer.

Advertisement