Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price conversion on clothes.

Options
  • 10-12-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all! Today i bought a dress from an English clothing store that was being advertised online at 45 pounds but yet with the conversion to euro was in the shop at 69.50. I don't understand how shops get away with this? Can anyone explain to me why they overcharge so much, drives me mad when you see a price on something and you think that is the price until you realise you were reading the pounds price and the euro price is a lot more!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It really annoys me too. Miss Selfridge and Topshop are the worst for it. Including delivery charges, 99% of the time its still cheaper to order from the UK.

I bought a dress for £35 in Miss Selfridge in the UK last year, and saw it in Cork when I got home selling for €72. Its insane!

What also annoys me is when you compare two items, say both being £30, but the € prices are different. I saw it with a top and a playsuit in Miss Selfridge in Cork, the jumper was £30/€65 and the playsuit was £30/€70. How does that even make sense?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

It is ridiculous! Why must we pay more because we are in Ireland? Really irritates me i used to work in Zara and they had a Spanish price on the clothes when they arrived in Ireland, we had to take it off when a delivery came in and it was always a little cheaper than the Irish euro price. Not as much as the English cheaper but still it's annoying that we pay more for the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

VAT is part of the reason. I think VAT in Spain is either 8% or 10% and in the UK it is 20%. Its all lower than our 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭UMMMM

Not agreeing with the really over the top exchange prices of near double but you must remember that in Ireland vat is higher,as is the much discussed rent staff on average get about30% higher wages, and transport costs etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

UMMMM wrote: »
    Not agreeing with the really over the top exchange prices of near double but you must remember that in Ireland vat is higher,as is the much discussed rent staff on average get about30% higher wages, and transport costs etc, etc...

true.

According to a friend of mine who works in the head office of a large English retailer, the cost of running the Dublin store (rent, rates, utilities, staff) is double the same size store in the midlands of England.

I am sure the equivalent costs in Spain are much lower.

Sorry, but we live in a high cost economy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement