Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distinction in LCVP

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Im doing LCVP because i have the subjects for it, but is it hard to get a distinction in it? Our teacher expects us to state,explain and use an example if possible but when she puts up the marking scheme there really isnt much there, is there a point in going into mad detail when explaining what you have stated ? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

The first thing I'd advise is to make sure your portfolio is next to perfect. It's possible to score really well here and with a bit of work you can get over 85% in this section. That will allow you to get a distinction with a little over 72/73% in the written paper. There are checklists that can be downloaded from the SLSS site and can be useful in making sure you have covered everything in the portfolio.

Your teacher is right about the state, explain and use an example and unfortunately the marking schemes are absolutely no help in that regard. They are pretty tight, with only one line answers. I've seen the same question answered differently in different years and this not only poses a problem for you but can make the correcting of scripts quite random. You may make very valid points in answering a question but my experience of viewing scripts is that the correctors stick tightly to the very poor marking schemes and I've seen many a good answer given a 0 because it's not written on the marking scheme.

It's not so much about going into loads of detail as making sure everything you say is different. A question worth 6 marks requires 3 different points (each one being stated, explain it without repeating yourself and if possible give an example). If they see two points that are very similar they can join them and you are a point short (essentially being marked out of 4 instead of 6).

But I go back to the portfolio...make sure it's top quality and this will allow you some room in the written.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Getting a distinction is quite difficult in LCVP. Out of 57, only 2 got a distinction in my year in August of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

LCVP is not like other subjects, you have to cover absolutely everything you think might be the answer....let the marker pick out the correct bits. In other words, if most of what you write is not on the marking scheme, you won't be penalised, once they can find the right answers. Download past marking schemes & you'll see how similar all the questions are, very important to be able to answer 'evaluate' questions. Also agrees that your portfolio must be nearly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

MeganB wrote: »
    Im doing LCVP because i have the subjects for it, but is it hard to get a distinction in it? Our teacher expects us to state,explain and use an example if possible but when she puts up the marking scheme there really isnt much there, is there a point in going into mad detail when explaining what you have stated ? :/

Yes, yes, YES! Your teacher is 100% right! Its hard to get a distinction, out of about 70 of us I think 7 of us got Distinctions, it was even less the previous year, 2 out of 60. You have to have your portfolio PERFECT, 100% UNDENIABLY PERFECT like, I cant stress this enough, having an extra space between a word will get you deducted marks, and if you repeat your LC you cant make a new portfolio you have to resubmit the original one. As for the exam, this is where most people loose marks, you must follow that rule whenever possible, LCVP can be a stickler for time btw so watch out for that. Keep you answers looking as neat as possible and believe it or not you do have to study for your exam for it, even if you do business. It overlaps but its different. Seriously tho, from my own experience a messy answer will get you deducted marks cause it doesnt look neat. I cant stress the PQE enough either, just get over it, your explanation can be like a line or 2, dont overcomplicate it. LCVP was a huge chunk of the LC for me I ewas always working on my portfolio, seriously I mustve handed up each individual item at 12 times minimum during the course of the 2 years to get it right, tyour teacher corrects it, you ammend it and hand it back up to your teacher so he or she can correct the stuff they missed the first time, wash, rinse , and repeat.

Advertisement