Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you to tackle an intruder

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

if an intruder broke into your house and you had to tackle them would a samurai sword or a hunting knife be better??.. remember its in a house so close quarters. no firearams or pepperspray allowed either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Pullin a knife on someone is a sure fore way to get yourself stabbed. Unless your trained just make noise and tell em you have called the cops an they will most likely leg it....

Your forgettimg these are scum who have probably had a knife pulled on them before so will have more of a head about them in this situation than the groggy, just got woke by an intruder you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I wouldn't recommend swords or knives for the simple reason swords are too long to use in the size of a doorway or the stairs and knives you need to get too close and run the risk of the knife being taken off you and used on you

Personally I've 3 dogs two command trained and a 4 cell maglite and over 20 stone to put behind it. While I'm doing that the other half is on to the guards and moving herself and the kids to one room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I've a lump hammer with a rubber grip on it. If I find an intruder in my place he's gonna be one sorry mother fùcker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Square in the nuts ?

You don't want to be killing folks. Too much paperwork.
    Hard enough in the balls to rupture them.
    game over
    wait for cops & ambulance

never set foot in court.

Honorary Darwin Award

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sliding tackle is best I feel..two footed with studs up for maximum damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Blay wrote: »

in the nuts ?

Blay wrote: »
    Do you wear football boots 24/7 even when in bed ?????

in the nuts ?

What if the intruder doesn't have any ??? There are female intruders too you know

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Square in the nuts ?

You don't want to be killing folks. Too much paperwork.

Quite the opposite actually.

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Do you wear football boots 24/7 even when in bed ?????

Of course, have to be prepared for these situations at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I personally plan on going with crying and begging.

don't have to worry about having any equipment on hand and I know I have the skills. In a survival situation the most important thing is what is up there in the old brain. :D

honestly shouting at them and saying the cops are on the way is probably the best low risk way of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

sheesh wrote: »
    I personally plan on going with crying and begging.

don't have to worry about having any equipment on hand and I know I have the skills. In a survival situation the most important thing is what is up there in your brain. :D

Most intruders dont want any confrontation, but while your still half asleep and not sure if anyone is in your house there fully awake and have some form of weapon on them. Plus untill your in that situation you dont know how you will react. Happened to me 18 years ago on new years eve drunk and half asleep walked into the hallway with a intruder there. before i could react i was knocked out and left with a bruise on my face of the shape of the sole of his runner. But fair play to the police they rushed round four hours later after i phoned

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I wouldn't have much say in what happens in a situation like this. I have a rather large GSD and a Boxer dog who are fantastic guard dogs. There is no diplomacy with them. I wouldn't want to tackle either of them. Now, I know there are those who say dogs can be bypassed, with a bit of meat etc, however, you'd have to get up close to offer up the bait first. That aint gonna happen. They will not let you get close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

First of all I'd call a neighbor and ask them to look after our dogs for a while then I'd either go out with a bunch of black bin bags and a shovel or a first aid kit :D

But in reality the dogs and you need to see the size of them to understand fully, have stopped 100% of the visitors we used to regularly get, even friends think twice about calling in or phone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

What if the whole situation turned out like Home Alone? The hilarity of two inept burglars falling into my increasingly clever traps would be a story to tell the kids... Then again if they came in with shotguns I'd be completely fûcked..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I used to do a lot of roofing with my auld lad, so if my 24oz roofing hammer were about...

I have three dogs and a gunsafe though, hope it never comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Have a 9 & 1/2 stone bullmastiff sleeping in hall...... If that fails theres a .22 round or arrow waiting for them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What if an intruder simply shoots your dogs? They don't have to get close to them to do that. And you've also established that they (the intruders) are armed.

What's your plan B?

If the intruder has access to a firearm they wouldn't be breaking in to rob dvd players etc. So unless you run a business or work in a bank and are a target for a tiger kidnapping don't worry about then having firearms.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    What if an intruder simply shoots your dogs? They don't have to get close to them to do that. And you've also established that they (the intruders) are armed.

What's your plan B?

would need to b in my house t shoot my bullmastiff, it guards the front door, and if shots wer fired it would alert my partner and i who would inturn grap our firearms.

We would b alerted far earlier in reality as there are four highly trained guard dogs patrolling our property 24/7 .

Plus our security lighting is adjusted to only illuminate if there is a human intruder not canine, there are 7 high powered haolgens so would light them up like a christmas tree:-)

I like my chances but hope it would never happen.!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd probably go with my standard reaction to being woken unexpectedly which is to scream incessantly until I run out of breath (about 45 seconds), then scowl and grumble a lot while trying to keep the light out of my eyes. Then I'll be ratty and cranky for about 30 minutes, while saying things like "Turn the ****ing lights off and go find the keys yourself" while covering my head with a pillow.

It's probably not the ideal reaction to be fair.

Alternatively, as this is the internet, I could come up with some wild sounding threats of violence and mayhem involving tools/sporting goods that I happen to sleep with. But the first response is probably more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

If the intruder turns out to be a marksman extraordinaire who can keep his cool, scope out a kill-shot from a distance, on both of my dogs, as they're jumping around foaming at the mouth to get out and tear him apart then I fear you're up against a highly trained assassin who you should simply hand over all of your possessions to. However, as most break ins are attempted by the SLM brigade (scummy little mug) then my money is firmly on Messrs German Shepherd & Boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

High powered compound bow..end of problem.

Some of them can send the arrows over 300 hundred feet per second and they are very easy to buy and perfectly legal to own in Ireland.

Danpad wrote: »
    If the intruder turns out to be a marksman extraordinaire who can keep his cool, scope out a kill-shot from a distance, on both of my dogs, as they're jumping around foaming at the mouth to get out and tear him apart then I fear you're up against a highly trained assassin who you should simply hand over all of your possessions to. However, as most break ins are attempted by the SLM brigade (scummy little mug) then my money is firmly on Messrs German Shepherd & Boxer.

ya i agree, id fancy my dogs against little scumbags any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Thespoofer wrote: »
    High powered compound bow..end of problem.

Some of them can send the arrows over 300 hundred feet per second and they are very easy to buy and perfectly legal to own in Ireland.

Had one and sold it. Wouldn't even try to use it in doors. Maybe for the professional bowman but for me, regular recurve bow all the way. I've a little league baseball bat beside the bed to help me feel safe but in reality, if I tried swinging that in the house is end up hurting myself! We've a dog downstairs, and security lights out the back, street lights out the front. 5 point locking system on front and back doors and a pissed off cat (since I got the dog). I've knives a go go round the house and like above, being a chippy, a hammer left handy upstairs but to be honest, I don't know how I'd handle a burglar, with care I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Realistically I guess none of us really know how we would react to an intruder unless it actually happened. There's a pretty good chance that any of us (myself included) would just be paralyzed with fear and be rendered pretty useless. I was once surprised by a kid screeching to a halt behind me on a bike (little fecker was being cheeky) and honestly, my legs literally almost went from under me with fright. I wasn't the better of it for quite a while. Had that kid been a rapist, mugger, or (at home) a burglar, I would have been the easiest target ever. Prior to that I would have been of the 'I'd burst him with a kick to the stones and make him cry for his mammy' brigade. Since then - I'm a bit more realistic.

We just don't know what will happen or how we will physically react to a threat to our home or lives until it happens. Hopefully it never will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nibsers

Dogs seems to be the best answer so... ive 2 miniature schnauzers and a english bull terrier whose afraid of its own shadow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Well, burglars beware, my dog will lick them to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Had one and sold it. Wouldn't even try to use it in doors. Maybe for the professional bowman but for me, regular recurve bow all the way. I've a little league baseball bat beside the bed to help me feel safe but in reality, if I tried swinging that in the house is end up hurting myself! We've a dog downstairs, and security lights out the back, street lights out the front. 5 point locking system on front and back doors and a pissed off cat (since I got the dog). I've knives a go go round the house and like above, being a chippy, a hammer left handy upstairs but to be honest, I don't know how I'd handle a burglar, with care I'd imagine

If I had an intruder at the bottom of my stairs or at the end of the hall or whatever then I can't see a problem letting it off indoors if it means to protect my family.

• Advertisement

Thespoofer wrote: »
    If I had an intruder at the bottom of my stairs or at the end of the hall or whatever then I can't see a problem letting it off indoors if it means to protect my family.

plus 1 to dat.!!

Advertisement