Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need extended Wi-Fi access point with Sky router

Options
  • 09-12-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭

I have the Sky broadband and need to get a better Wi-Fi signal upstairs at the far end of the house. I have CAT5 hard wired to an old VodaFone ASDL router (used before the change over to Sky) to where I now need the new Access Point.
    The VodaFone ASDL router did work connected to the CAT5 cable and used as the WI-Fi extender and it's 4 port hub used to connect to a PC upstairs as well, but looks to have gone belly up now.

SO what I'm looking for is an Access Point with 4 ports with I connect to the SKY router using the CAT5 cable from the SKY router.

Any recommendations that will work with SKY?

Just thinking the way to go may be to run the CAT5 into a switch and then out to an access point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

You can use an old wifi router, or an access point with a swtich. If its an old router remove DHCP , set it to bridge mode and make sure the IP is in the same subnet as your sky router.
    Connect the two devices using cat 5,

If you connect to the wifi SSID of the old router you should be then assigned an address from the SKY router and browse as normal.

I used http://goo.gl/2vMUhP in my parents house to extend the wifi without using ethernet and it works well. While I didnt try it I imagine it would work if you connected it to your network through Cat5.

Advertisement