Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 on Vodafone 4G LTE

Options
  • 09-12-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I called Vodafone today and a support guy thinks that the Nexus 5 won't work on Vodafone 4G LTE network in Ireland. He said they are working off the 800MHz band.

According to the phone specs, it should work. Anyway, it supposedly went live today but I'm getting speeds varying from 1Mbps to 9Mbps.

Anyone know if it should work and what speeds I should expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Once its a euro bought Nexus5 D821 it will support band 20 (800Mhz)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pbyrneirl

Thanks, that's what I thought.
    Anyone any idea what kind of speed I should realistically get (using speedtest.net app)?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

Just wondering @pbyrneirl

did you get your nexus working on vodafone LTE?

If so much of a speed difference?

Cheers eske

Yeah, the Vodafone person didn't know what they were talking about because the nexus 5 works on Vodafone LTE no problem.
    It's great actually, browsing is nice and fast in 4G areas, but coverage seems to be much the same as 3G (in some parts there's no coverage at all). But when you're in a good area it's fast. The fastest I've recorded on the speed test app is about 17Mb. See attached.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anthony.mccoy

Did you have to do anything with your device settings to get 4G working on nexus 5? I called vodafone and the guy said that nexus 5 is not compatible with vodafones 4G network.. He said I have 4G on my price plan but it wont work because I dont have a compatible device. I thought 4G/LTE was a standard and any LTE enabled phone should work on it. I have the UK version of nexus 5 and the settings are set to LTE (recommended), so i'm not sure whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

Hey Anthony , don't mind that guy, it works fine - I'm looking at the LTE icon on my phone right now.
    It might not be an approved phone but it works.
    All I did was text 4G to 50221 - no app download necessary

No i didn't have to do anything at all. I switched to Vodafone from O2. And when u got my new sim card it worked, it took a little while to come through though. I heard that you need a 4G compatible sim, not sure if that's correct.
    Also, it's not LTE everywhere, where i am at the moment, I'm inside and I have a 'H' symbol and I'm getting 9Mbps. If I go outside I'll have 'LTE' and be getting about 16Mbps.
    Lastly, don't listen to the Vodafone guy, he's miss informed, it might be because The Nexus 5 isn't sold through any operators in Ireland and they simply don't have it on their list and we got ours in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Interested in how long it took to "come through" as you say. I switched from O2, port happened at 9am (12 hours ago). Phone (Nexus 5) working fine but no LTE connection. I've even tried choosing LTE only as the connection type to force it. Nothing. I'm 100% in coverage area in Sandyford, beside Voda HQ.

Rang Voda and he said I'm on 4g plan so it might just take 24 hours for the switch to be complete?
    So just wait...?

As far as I remember it took about a day or a little longer for it to switch to LTE and the the speedtest app showed a higher speed. Just hang on and it will probably change over in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Came on last night. Took about 36 hours from the time of the port for LTE to become available. HSPA+ was available at the time of port but LTE wasn't.
    This is all normal apparently (after reading a few threads on the Voda community since posting originally).

Delighted. 17mb down and 12mb up indoors in the house in D18 area. The staff members in the shop should probably tell you that the 4G might take an extra 1-2 days top become active on your new account AFTER porting over. Just so you don't assume something is wrong (as I did). Cheers all. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

100gSoma wrote: »
    Came on last night. Took about 36 hours from the time of the port for LTE to become available. HSPA+ was available at the time of port but LTE wasn't.
    This is all normal apparently (after reading a few threads on the Voda community since posting originally).

Delighted. 17mb down and 12mb up indoors in the house in D18 area. The staff members in the shop should probably tell you that the 4G might take an extra 1-2 days top become active on your new account AFTER porting over. Just so you don't assume something is wrong (as I did). Cheers all. :o

Thanks was just told they don't support nextus 5 too. Switched to VF - Not even a welcome text or anything about the service. Anyways hope the 4 works for me

Advertisement