Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone like guys the same age?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

One thing I've noticed a lot is that younger guys seem to prefer older guys and older guys like the younger ones.

Is this the norm for gay males? Any reasons for it?

I'm 21 and would much prefer someone my own age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well Tom Daley is going with a guy twice his age alright but I don't think it's a majority thing. Maybe some young guys are looking for a daddy figure and some older guys missed out on fun when they were young due to being closeted etc and trying to relive their youth by seeking out young guys. Then again, I'm sure there doesn't have to be psychological reasons.

My partner is 2 years younger than me and most couples I know are of similar ages. I don't think I could be with someone 10+ years of a difference as I feel there would just be too many social, generational and nostalgia gaps. (eg we couldn't enjoy the same episodes of Reeling In The Years together!! :D)

Maybe check out BelongTo or other youth LGBT groups to expand your circle (for social and romantic opportunities).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

I'm roughly 2 years older than my boyfriend. At first, I thought that was a HUGE gap. But now, I think I realise it's not (I'm 28, he's 26; we started going out nearly a year ago :eek:).

Any gay guys we've talked to who are in a relationship are with a guy who is usually within 3 or 4 years of them, older or younger. I think most people like having a relationship with a peer of their age, but I'm open to correction.

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with someone much younger or older than I am, but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Like others here most couples I know are of similar-ish ages, but isn't that the same for most straight couples too? Of course there are always going to be younger guys who fancy older and vice versa - though much of the time its a case of fantasising rather than fancying.
    A gap of 10-15 years seems a lot when one is 20 and the other is 35, less so if one is 40 and one is 55, and what about when one is 65 and the other is 80?
    There's a gap of 5 years between myself and my other half - seemed a lot at one time but never really think of it now.
    It's all perception - if 2 mature people are in love the ages shouldnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Just over 2 years between me and my boyfriend. 25 and 27. We have being going out for over 4 years now.

Any of the other guys I know who are / have been in a gay relationship, they are usually +/- 3/4 years from each other.

However I know two straight guys who are with women 10+ years their senior! Each to their own I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not the only one attracted to people my own age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

The gap in age is more of an issue in relation to younger couples...

When I was 23, I started going out with a 20 year old... His friends (all around 20), all viewed this as a big age gap. However, I think where we were in life/experience was a bigger issue... He was in 2nd year of College, whereas I had finished college and was out in the nasty world of working for 2 years at that stage.... Now, just a few years later, I don't think anyone would comment on a year age gap, i.e. if I as a 26 year old started going out with a 23 year old or a 29 year old....

And also, you mention that you see a lot of people saying they are looking for older or younger.... I have only ever really experienced this on Gaydar or Grindr, and tends to be when they are looking for NSA (generalising here of course!). Myself, I am in my mid 20s and I could personally see myself with some one with about 5 years of an age gap max in either direction. Beyond that, I would find it hard to have many common interests

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

I don't really know about general observations but I do know that I personally always seem to end up seeing/going for guys that are 3 plus years older than me. Bear in mind that I'm 21, but I would think it has more to do with me being an "old soul" rather than anything else.

So I'd have no problem seeing someone a good bit older but on the other hand I don't think I'd go for anyone that's a few years younger.

I definitely prefer guys my own age (24, as of Wednesday!). Anything more than a 5 year age difference would make me feel a bit uneasy tbh. 19 just seems so young to me now (oh I wish I was that age again - mentally I still very much am!) whereas someone pushing 30 would feel too "grown up" for me.
    Then again, been single for two years now so I guess beggars can't be choosers! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

Im 24 and my bf is nearly 30, always kinda liked guys a bit older than me think it was a maturity thing for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Op Im the same age as you and I feel the same way as you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

My better half is only 3 years older than me, does that count as the same age group?

But yeah as a 23 year old I am into guys who are older

In my head I've always said... strictly the same age as me or one year younger or older. I'm 24. But in reality, looking back on this past year, I've gone for guys who are 30, unintentionally! It's a funny game!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

It's complicated! I like guys my own age but it happens that anytime I'm out they're nowhere in sight! This past few weekends I've been out in the George and tbh the only people you could pick from were twice my age haha! Also tried War a few times and they were fierce young! Although I've gone out with a few lads a bit older, ultimately the gap was waaay too big for either of us to get our head around and turn it into something similar.

Incidently, where do all the other early 20s go out in? :/ Dragon?

I've always been into guys strictly my age or just a year younger or older, I don't know why I was so strict about that. I'm 24. But in reality, most of the guys I was with this year happened to been 30! Maybe I am sub-contentiously attracted to 30 year olds! :O
    Ash885 wrote: »
    It's complicated! I like guys my own age but it happens that anytime I'm out they're nowhere in sight! This past few weekends I've been out in the George and tbh the only people you could pick from were twice my age haha! Also tried War a few times and they were fierce young! Although I've gone out with a few lads a bit older, ultimately the gap was waaay too big for either of us to get our head around and turn it into something similar.

Incidently, where do all the other early 20s go out in? :/ Dragon?

Yeah them and guys in their mid-20s? I was in the Dragon the last 2 Saturday nights and they certainly weren't there. The age crowd is definitely older anywhere I've been the last few months, be it the George, Dragon or Front Lounge.

I went to War about 2 years ago, very young crowd yeah. Looking up places to go out in Dublin, are Mother and Fag any good?

On another topic, are Thursday nights good in the Dragon does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I've always been into guys strictly my age or just a year younger or older, I don't know why I was so strict about that. I'm 24. But in reality, most of the guys I was with this year happened to been 30! Maybe I am sub-contentiously attracted to 30 year olds! :O

Yeah them and guys in their mid-20s? I was in the Dragon the last 2 Saturday nights and they certainly weren't there. The age crowd is definitely older anywhere I've been the last few months, be it the George, Dragon or Front Lounge.

I went to War about 2 years ago, very young crowd yeah. Looking up places to go out in Dublin, are Mother and Fag any good?

On another topic, are Thursday nights good in the Dragon does anyone know?

I've heard Mother can be very, very quiet. But then again I guess it just depends on the night! I've been to Prhomo once! It was good craic, was jammers but that's not a bad thing either really!

Guess I just have to keep trying ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

Well my first boyfriend was 2 years older than me at the time.
    I never really think of age as something that separates two people, unless the gap is wide enough to bridge two different generations, i.e. 8+ years IMO. I have to say although since, my first boyfriend the guys I have been with have always been younger, but never more than 2 years at most, except my my last boyfriend who was 19, and I am 24.

So all I have to say is that we don't really choose who we like based on some number, although we tend to look for similarities in taste with social and personal life, and in times those can be the same despite an age gap that might be considered quite large.

I'm 21 and personally, I find having a boyfriend a good few years older than me much more exciting and interesting. Whatever you're into as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

As you get older the age gap is less relevant. A 18 year old going out with a 30 year old would be strange but a 30 year old going out with a 40 year old not so strange. Both the 30 and 40 year old are mature adults and it's really no one else's business. There's a big age gap with my bf but we both like smiliar things, that's what it should be based on not on the individuals age if they are both mature adults. Anyway most very young men wouldn't look twice at an older man and if they do its usually for reasons that have little to do with their smiliar likes.

Advertisement