Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Razor (Manual) - Having Difficulty

Options
  • 09-12-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've been using the old electric razor for the last couple of years as a change from the manual, but I've noticed that increasingly I'm not getting a great shave from it. I've changed the blades in the electric, but have still had insufficient results.

Alas, it's back to the manual. I popped into the chemist and noticed Gillette Mach something or other (they're all the same to me) on special reduced from €30 to half price, so purchased that along with a couple of other items such as foam to avail of their 3 for 2 offer. Anyway, after shaving with the manual, I had to go back to over it with the electric such was the poor quality of the blade :eek:

So my question is this - what is the best, most reasonably priced manual razor (and foam if possible) I can purchase that will give me a proper, clean shave leaving my face looking as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom and not looking like I've just trimmed stubble? And secondly, where can I purchase said razor?

The only time I've had satisfying results lately is when I get a shave in a Turkish barbers but I prefer to get that as a bit of a treat as opposed to purchasing very often, so similar to what they can produce would be fantastic.

I shave every day (sometimes at night instead) so there's not much to take care of. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to sort out :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

You are going to get the double edge crowd hitting you now but it was not a good experience for me.. try king of shaves or the lidl one is decent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I find Wilkinson sword better than gilette

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I just use a disposable. I have found that the quality of the gel makes a bigger difference for my sensitive skin than the razor. A cheap foam and I will cut the face off myself but with one of the gillette gel types I find I get a smooth shave with no after rash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have tried the balm but found it makes my skin feel clammy and otherwise didn't help much.
    Have tried them all at this stage, the expensive razors, cheap razors, expensive/cheap gels, expensive cheap aftershave. The one that works for me are the LIDL cheapo razors Gillette Fusion proglide gel with no aftershave.

I have yet to try a cut throat blade (because they scare me) but don't see how you can get a closer shave than when you use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

awec wrote: »
    I use a Fusion, but not the one that takes batteries. Works grand for me, but I only shave once every 3 or 4 days.

Ditto. 9 blade set and razor for 25€ in Dunnes. Also have a razor pit. That'll see me through 4 mths, easily. A great shave altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chinwag

It's around E17 for a refill of four Fusion cartridges, that's expensive shaving!
    I've been experimenting with the ordinary wet shave lately including the Wilkinson Sword DE, I'm presently looking to replace my existing one. I mix electric and wet shaving, can't shave wet daily, too painful.

chinwag wrote: »
    It's around E17 for a refill of four Fusion cartridges, that's expensive shaving!
    I've been experimenting with the ordinary wet shave lately including the Wilkinson Sword DE, I'm presently looking to replace my existing one. I mix electric and wet shaving, can't shave wet daily, too painful.
    You're getting ripped off. See post #8. Always available, Dunnes & McCabes. That's €2.75 per blade vs your €4.25;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP try a Gillette excel. It's a two blade razor and its very cheap. It's considered one of the best razors as any more than two blades can causes irritation.

I switched to a DE razor as I found the blades harder to find ( they cheap on amazon) and DE blades are cheaper. DE shaving is definitely cheaper but compared to the Gillette excel, there is no amazing difference. Although de shaving meaning I don't get my five o clock shadow until the next day

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Ditto. 9 blade set and razor for 25€ in Dunnes. Also have a razor pit. That'll see me through 4 mths, easily. A great shave altogether.

Also, for the Mach 3 brigade, 16 blades and razor stem for €25 in McCabes. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Only shave about 2 to 3 times a week but for me its the Mach 3, I find the fusion blades are to close together and get clogged to easily.
    Bought the DE kit about 6 months ago and to be honest have not had a good experience with them, find they dont last past 3 shaves where as with the mach 3 I can get about 20 shaves out of a blade, therefore dont believe the hype about saving money, also find the mach 3 give a much closer shave than the DE blades.
    I am still using the DE so as to use up the remaining blades in the pack, in order to get a close shave I use the DE first then finish with the mach 3, if I try and get a close shave with the DE I end up destroying my face where as the mach 3 is grand.
    I will say were I can see a saving is by using the soaps and brush instead of the gels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mach 3 fusion here paully, I have the 5 o clock shadow by about 3pm!

I had an philips razor for a while but it gave me a lot of irritation tbh, went back to blades 3/4 years ago and havent looked back.

Hopefully the wife is picking me up a cut throat shaving kit for Xmas and ill give that a try.

Advertisement