Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nook HD

Options
  • 08-12-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    I purchased a Nook HD tablet in the US a few weeks ago for my 11 year old daughter's birthday. Before I purchased the device, I asked would it work in Ireland and was advised that it would. Unfortunately, she has not been able to read books on it yet. I tried to purchase ebooks on the barnes and noble website but this was unsuccesful. When I contacted Barnes and noble they advised that they only accept US credit cards and addresses.

I downloaded a free book from feedbooks.com and everything worked fine. I then proceeded to buy a book but this would not open. I then downloaded adobe digital edition to my laptop and set up adobe id. I can now read the book on my laptop. However, when I enter my adobe id and password when I try to open it on my nook I get an error message - Error dialog User not activated.

Does anyone have an suggestions to overcome the problems above?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you can't legally purchase books then sourcing them from other means and copying them over via usb seems to be your only other option. Nook's use .epub formats. Here is a guide to copying files to your Nook.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-transfer-files-from-computer-to-nook-tablet.html

I'm not going to tell you where to get books as that is against forum rules of course, but there are many many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You could try downloading a different ebook reading app like Aldiko or moon reader that supposedly reads most formats and see if that can open it, think nook has access to the play store doesn't it. Or as 5starpool says look elsewhere in some of the greyer or all out black areas for the ebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I use a plugin for Calibre to convert books I buy from Amazon for use on the Nook,you just copy and paste the file into the plugin folder and it converts it to epub and adds it to Calibre for transfer to the Nook.

Any news OP? I need closure!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

Thanks for all the replies. In work now but will let you know how I get on this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

5starpool wrote: »
    If you can't legally purchase books then sourcing them from other means and copying them over via usb seems to be your only other option. Nook's use .epub formats. Here is a guide to copying files to your Nook.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-transfer-files-from-computer-to-nook-tablet.html

I'm not going to tell you where to get books as that is against forum rules
    of course, but there are many many places.

I have copied the epub file to the nook. When I open it, I'm asked for Adobe id and password. When I input these, I get the following message - Error dialog User not activated.
    You could try downloading a different ebook reading app like Aldiko or moon reader that supposedly reads most formats and see if that can open it, think nook has access to the play store doesn't it. Or as 5starpool says look elsewhere in some of the greyer or all out black areas for the ebook.

I downloaded moon reader. When I open the book, I get an error message - This book is locked by DRM, to read it in Moon+Reader, you need to use DRM-free tool to drop off the protection firstly.
    I use a plugin for Calibre to convert books I buy from Amazon for use on the Nook,you just copy and paste the file into the plugin folder and it converts it to epub and adds it to Calibre for transfer to the Nook.

I downloaded calibre. When I open the book I get the following error message. THis book is locked by DRM. To learn more about DRM and why you cannot read and convert this book in calibre click here.

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

That plugin on calibre should strip the DRM. Seems straightforward enough. All told though you have been jumping through a few hoops to get it working! I don't think I would bother buying any more from the B&N site if I were you.

Advertisement