Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint, spray, dye mantle piece?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Evening all, I have a maple veneer mdf mantle piece which I'm looking to change the colour to black.

What would be the best way, I'm thinking
    1: lightly sand down.
    2: primer then lightly sand when dry.
    3: spray can of black paint, lightly sand between 3 coats.

I'm looking for a nice shine to the finish would I get it this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

Well i wouldnt spray paint it anyway. It'll go everywhere. I'd rather do it by brush and wet sand (with soapy water) with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Your plan will work - assuming you are going to mask off the surrounding areas ! I'd assume the veneer has some kind of finish on it so you would have to sand it back to bare veneer.If the edge is exposed its worth sealing it with MDF sealer before priming as it will keep soaking up any primer like blotting paper. I make picture frames with MDF and found out the hard way !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

You'll be better of applying the paint by brush. Prime it first then undercoat. Rub down with wet and dry paper between coats, anything from a 240 grade up will be fine. Make sure to wipe down with white spirits after sanding. If you want a really glossy finish then use several coats of gloss but make sure to give it a good rub down betweenn coats and a wipe with spirits on a rag.

You'll be better of applying the paint by brush. Prime it first then undercoat. Rub down with wet and dry paper between coats, anything from a 240 grade up will be fine. Make sure to wipe down with white spirits after sanding. If you want a really glossy finish then use several coats of gloss but make sure to give it a good rub down betweenn coats and a wipe with spirits on a rag.

Why by brush ? A sprayed finish will always look better.

recipio wrote: »
    Why by brush ? A sprayed finish will always look better.

If you use a pot sprayer or an airless sprayer I'd agree with you but to get the finish you are looking for from a spray can then I think you'll be better off using paint from a tin applied by a brush. If you are worried about brush strokes then use a an oil based paint (not acrylic), and mix in a paint conditioner like owaterol. Make sure to use a small amount of paint for each coat, laying it off well and rubbing down between coats. That said if you feel confident you can do it with the can of spray paint then go for it!
    I feel that hand painted finish looks better than sprayed painted though, I hand paint fitted furniture all the time for people who feel the same way, but again some people prefer that factory finish look. Different strokes..

• Advertisement

Fair enough.I've found that using a premium brush ( about 12 euro and up ) makes a huge difference when brushing on varnish.The brush marks disappear almost entirely. For small jobs I stick to the rustoleum range of spray cans from Woodies and others.

recipio wrote: »
    Fair enough.I've found that using a premium brush ( about 12 euro and up ) makes a huge difference when brushing on varnish.The brush marks disappear almost entirely. For small jobs I stick to the rustoleum range of spray cans from Woodies and others.

The better the brush the better the finish alright. I tend to use the best brushes money can buy. They're easier to work with, no picking bristles out of your paint, do a better job and if you look after them they can last for years. In the long run they save so much time and money that its a no brainer!

Advertisement