Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your most disappointing GOTY?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

For me it would have to be The Last of Us. I felt the story while it had a good start it ended up being uninteresting and I just wasn't really invested plus the ending was awful. The gameplay was good but nothing groundbreaking but the friendly AI was dumb, they run in front of you even when you were sneaking. I felt the best part about this game was the multiplayer because it was most unique I've played this year and it really embraces teamwork which I really like.

What's your one guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

That's guaranteed replies OP, brace yourself for an onslaught of TLOU lovers.

For me Rome II due to how buggy it was

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i thought GTAV got goty?

oh, you mean most disappointing game i bought this year?

Sadly, for me it was The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richardg234

i thought GTAV got goty?

oh, you mean most disappointing game i bought this year?

Sadly, for me it was The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

The Bureau was disappointing but I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it so it wasn't a total loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Grand Theft Auto 5

Gta 4 I did not like and didn't try to fall into the hype for Gta 5 but when they showed off the online trailer near to its launch I foolishly fell for it again and s I knew I ended up disappointed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely Ni No Kuni. With Studio Ghibli involved it should have been a lot better. However Studio Ghibli only contributed to the art with Joe Hisashi as composer. Those were the best two things about the game.

I really don't understand how this game got good reviews unless the people reviewing it thought FFXIII was the only JRPG released in the last 5 years. That might well be the case considering it was called the saviour of the genre which is a conclusion only someone that totally ignored handheld games would come to.

The fact of the matter is Ni No Kuni follows the same formula every recent self developed Level 5 game has. The game is plagued by a dull combat system which drags on for far too long. There's too much busy work and fetch quest padding.Then there is the absolutely atrocious storyline by Akihiko Hino (it's ok to admit it, Studio Ghibli had nothing to do with the story).

Ni No Kuni isn't exactly Legend of Dragoon levels of dreadful, it's just crushingly mediocre which is a huge disappointment considering the talent behind it. It's really insulting and hypocritical to call it the saviour of the JRPG. Ni No Kuni contains lots of terribly outdated JRPG design and story tropes. There's really nothing inventive there and it felt like a huge step backwards from contemporaries like Persona, Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, Fire Emblem etc. that are far better representations of how far the genre has come and how great is can be.

Again it's by no means terrible just very disappointing and I feel a lot of people were like me and never managed to beat it due to growing disinterest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bioshock Infinite.

It was good game, but it had so many stupid things. A lot of cool stuff from trailers were not even in game, a lot of Cod elements in it like 2 weapon limit, the way game was, you could not even use any of the plasmids ( Vigors? ), due to them being very poorly balanced in in to game and cod shooting taking major role.

I guess after fantastic bioshock 1 and really good second one, I was expecting to be mind blown. It was good game, but I am not in any rush to get back in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mine would be Tomb Raider. I absolutely love that series but I just couldn't get attached to the game forcing my way through it. Didn't feel the want to explore the island. The tombs and puzzles were too easy and the gun battles were more uncharted than a lone girl trying to survive. Sequel needs to learn some lessons from the last of us with crafting and survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Bioshock Infinite: The most boring, yawn inducing overhyped piece of **** game I've had the misfortune of spending money on in years. It might possibly be one of the worst games I've ever played if judged on the complete lack of enjoyment I got out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Probably Arkham origins for me. Felt like a step backwards for the Arkham series. Admittedly I only played about 3-4 hours of it but was really disappointed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sim City without a doubt, taught me a valuable lesson to never pre-order ever again though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rome total war and sim city had high hopes for both and both failed me :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Definitely Ni No Kuni. With Studio Ghibli involved it should have been a lot better. However Studio Ghibli only contributed to the art with Joe Hisashi as composer. Those were the best two things about the game.

I really don't understand how this game got good reviews unless the people reviewing it thought FFXIII was the only JRPG released in the last 5 years. That might well be the case considering it was called the saviour of the genre which is a conclusion only someone that totally ignored handheld games would come to.

The fact of the matter is Ni No Kuni follows the same formula every recent self developed Level 5 game has. The game is plagued by a dull combat system which drags on for far too long. There's too much busy work and fetch quest padding.Then there is the absolutely atrocious storyline by Akihiko Hino (it's ok to admit it, Studio Ghibli had nothing to do with the story).

Ni No Kuni isn't exactly Legend of Dragoon levels of dreadful, it's just crushingly mediocre which is a huge disappointment considering the talent behind it. It's really insulting and hypocritical to call it the saviour of the JRPG. Ni No Kuni contains lots of terribly outdated JRPG design and story tropes. There's really nothing inventive there and it felt like a huge step backwards from contemporaries like Persona, Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, Fire Emblem etc. that are far better representations of how far the genre has come and how great is can be.

Again it's by no means terrible just very disappointing and I feel a lot of people were like me and never managed to beat it due to growing disinterest.

I found it a bit of a slog but I would say that the story does pick up in the last few acts.

I only played four games and I loved Infinite (at least the story, city, hours of discussion on the plot etc).

LoU and Ni No were a little disappointing when I take their reviews into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine

A single player/co-op game where each player chooses a unique role (Locksmith, Lookout, Pickpocket, Cleaner, Mole, Gentleman, Hacker, Redhead) and attempts to pull off the perfect heist - sounds great in concept.

Unfortunately, in a game where institutional awareness is key, the art direction and line-of-sight visual effect, make the action difficult to parse and regularly leads to moments of frustration. Also, half the classes are either useless or just not that enjoyable.

Not a terrible game, but probably my most disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Arkham Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

GTA V for me. I wasn't even going to buy it and got talked into it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The Last of Us - best game of the year by a long shot. Got Tomb Raider in the Steam Sale for €9, was very happy with it for that price. Rome II makes me the most sad. Such high hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

GTA V for me as well, decent single player story, and they did try to do something different with having the three playable characters, but it was let down by the multiplayer even when it was working I found it incredibly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Arkham Origins for me. Lots of silly bugs, clumsy combat at times (counters not taking affect correctly etc). Good story and the Joker is brilliant in it.

Story wise, it was fun. But it felt like a rushed release and that's what breaks it for me.

It would have been GTA V, but it's not out on PC and I knew it'd be a let down before I even played it. GTA games generally are. Fun, but disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Rome total war and sim city had high hopes for both and both failed me :(.

The frustrating thing about Rome 2 is it feels like a game that could have been so much better had they put more time and development into it. Instead we got a broke mess. The battles are the worst part. It's quite common to have a battle finished in 5 mins.

I still hold some hope the game will be improved with subsequent patches though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

X: Rebirth probably. And that's without having played it to be fair, but from what everyone is saying, it's an absolute unplayable mess. I expected bugs...it's an X game afterall. But it sounds like they've just gone and ruined almost every aspect of the game.

Terrible shame, as they are usually fantastic games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GTA5
    Got about 3/4 way through and realised I'm just not enjoying it. Fooled by the hype yet again. Well played Rockstar but never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sim City and Rome II right up there. Sim City me and a bunch of lads pre ordered and while it just went through the normal big title launch issues most big games do, they just didn't rectify it quick enough, and bugs simply ruined it.

Excellent game if you back to it now (I still play) but with such a loss of playerbase, most of my friends gone, it's suffered what I felt would be a short lifespan. SimCity was always something you played by yourself, with the reliance on connecting to other regions, its simply too much effort to be bothered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sim City, nothing else comes anywhere close to it.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite: The most boring, yawn inducing overhyped piece of **** game I've had the misfortune of spending money on in years. It might possibly be one of the worst games I've ever played if judged on the complete lack of enjoyment I got out of it.

I was caught up with the initial shock / nostalgia value of the ending. Only when I went back to a second playthrough I realised how bland the gameplay was compared to the first & second games. They removed features which I loved for no understandable reason. Each area felt like a fighting area, it was so linear, the plasmids had no puzzle input, holding 2 guns only...I could go on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Aliens Colonial Marines, even though I didn't get caught up in the rush to the bottom everyone else did and enjoyed some of it the game I expected and the game I got were so far apart.

Bioshock Infinite, they got the pacing all wrong. They created a stunning city full of life and then rushed you through it with non stop shooting and too much back tracking.

Nothing else really disappointed me. There were a few games I didn't enjoy but I didn't expect much from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Would agree with most here , had to be Aliens Colonial Marines and Bioshock Infinite

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gotta be Sim City for me too, it was so fundamentally broken, it was an insult to their customers that EA pushed that pile of sht out the door when it was quite obviously at least 6 months away from being finished. I was sent the new "futuristic" expansion to review recently and whilst it's not terrible, I feel that they just stuck "mega-towers" in as a sort of "that'll shut them out about not having bigger cities" effort and that for whatever reasons, they ploughing on pig-headed into what they think will work and not what their customers want.

I gotta say I can understand why some people are listing Arkham Origins due to the bugs etc (they didn't affect me personally, so I know I got very lucky), but for what it's worth, I loved every minute of playing that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sim City. I'm less annoyed about Rome 2 because usually Creative Assembly's **** ups get fixed by a combination of developer patches and community modding and at least we've had a regular stream of Total War games, the last Sim City game came out before I'd met my wife, had kids, seen them grow to school age, start gaming themselves, start playing Sim City themselves etc.

We were made wait 10 years and then handed a pile of steaming dog poo and told "the spoon only came with the Limited Edition, you'll have to use your hands, but don't worry an even nicer looking spoon will be released via DLC if you'd prefer to wait."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Didnt buy much games this year, but has got to be GTA V, was an ok storymode, but very easy and after its done, the game is just boring, nothing else to do and certainly does not live up to the hype of IV. I have the feeling if i played the new batman i would be saying that though, looks poor and a downgrade from the previous two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Bioshock infinite, the combat was awful it was short as hell and simply didn't live up to any expectations.

Advertisement