Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 app problems

Options
  • 08-12-2013 3:11pm

I've been having huge problems with my laptop recently, seemingly ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

Something that has cropped up since yesterday (it seems) is that whenever I click on an app on the start screen (one of the Metro ones, take the Flipboard Windows 8 app and the Skype Windows 8 app), the screen for it loads, but it goes straight to the Start menu again. If you move your mouse over the left hand side to see what apps are open, it says it there and yet when you click on the preview, it returns to the start screen once more.

While I was looking it up, somewhere recommended running sfc using the elevated command prompt, which I did, yet it came back saying there were corrupted files it couldn't fix. Further checking revealed this guide on how to fix it, which I followed and it seemed to have fixed the corrupted files, yet the apps still aren't loading.

Is there any thing else I could do? While I don't mind about the apps not loading as much, as I rarely use them, but I worry if there are other bugs that I'm not aware of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A reboot always works for me. Something hairy with the UI in rare cases where the unit has been slept and woken multiple times, affects the charms bar too, stopping you from getting to the settings panel.

I attempted a system restore initially, but it failed because of the same reason behind the sfc /scannow failing. After I followed that guide, I disabled my anti-virus and when sfc showed no corrupted files, I did another system restore that successfully completed and now the tiles appear to be working once more.

Advertisement