Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do microsoft exam questions compare to cisco?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

I am familiar with ciscos style of questions but what are the microsoft exams like, are they very direct in their questions and are they harder/easier than microsoft in general.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Its been a while since I sat a Microsoft exam , but it was always the case that the Cisco exams use an emulator to ask questions based on a scenario, such as to get you to troubleshoot a network setup or add a switch to a network using VTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

zweton wrote: »
    I am familiar with ciscos style of questions but what are the microsoft exams like, are they very direct in their questions and are they harder/easier than microsoft in general.

I find Cisco questions easier because there's not a half page of bollox to read before you answer. Cisco questions are more concise and to the point in my opinion. Maybe because you have less exam time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Krusader wrote: »
    I find Cisco questions easier because there's not a half page of bollox to read before you answer. Cisco questions are more concise and to the point in my opinion. Maybe because you have less exam time

I found the same, the Cisco exam was a test of knowledge. The Microsoft exams were a hour and a half of trying to trick you. Or in some cases they just made no sense at all.

In recent years though Microsoft has been introducing simulators, so they are at least trying to move into the practical side of things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Microsoft had simulators in the Server 2003 RTM exams. I've not encountered one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I found the same, the Cisco exam was a test of knowledge. The Microsoft exams were a hour and a half of trying to trick you. Or in some cases they just made no sense at all.

In recent years though Microsoft has been introducing simulators, so they are at least trying to move into the practical side of things.

I did I found this be true. I haven't done a microsoft exam in years but the last time but when I did it felt like it was "What is the Microsoft way of fixing this problem"? Needless to say I didn't pass the first time but I got it on the second attempt. Haven't done a microsoft exam since. Cisco exams are more straight to the point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement