Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Glass Bottle site, Goatstown

Options
  • 08-12-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

There is a big locked gate on Goatstown Road - I'm dying with curiosity to find out whats behind it. It seems it was the site of some big glass bottling operation at some stage, anyone know what happened with it? Also, going by satellite view it looks like there's a house in there or something, near the front - is this lived in? ^^

Link for map (drag the guy from the bottom right to onto the map to see streetview of the intersection)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Vorophobe wrote: »
    There is a big locked gate on Goatstown Road - I'm dying with curiosity to find out whats behind it. It seems it was the site of some big glass bottling operation at some stage, anyone know what happened with it? Also, going by satellite view it looks like there's a house in there or something, near the front - is this lived in? ^^ - Link for streetview
    Is it the allotment?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Is it the allotment?

Nope :) There is an allotment close by, but this is the entrance to something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It was going to be developed but never happened..... IGB was another business run into the ground by trade unions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

According to a recent Bord Pleanala report, bats are one of the protected species commuting through the former Irish Glass Bottle social club site.

The report explained the board's reasons for refusing planning permission to Zapi Properties for 265 student apartments on the pitch and putt site.

Zapi is owned by developers, Sean Mulryan and Sean Dunne, who paid ?18 million for the site to the IGB club members, mainly former employees of the Irish Glass Bottle Company.

The main reason for the refusal is because the site is zoned open space, a zoning which has been supported by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council in its even more recent draft county development plan.
    http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/goatstown-residents-go-batty-26022405.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

garhjw wrote: »
    IGB was another business run into the ground by trade unions

and the lack of sales for glass products.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Vorophobe wrote: »
    It seems it was the site of some big glass bottling operation at some stage
    The sports and social club was at Mount Merrion, the factory was at Ringsend. http://binged.it/1ck8Co6 - if you spin the image around, you can see the now cleared site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Victor wrote: »
    The sports and social club was at Mount Merrion, the factory was at Ringsend. http://binged.it/1ck8Co6 - if you spin the image around, you can see the now cleared site.

Goatstown Road was in Goatstown the last time I checked Victor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

returnNull wrote: »
    and the lack of sales for glass products.....

Not true, ardaragh glass the company who bought igb and sold the sites have increased their sales and turn over according to media reports earlier this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

neris wrote: »
    Not true, ardaragh glass the company who bought igb and sold the sites have increased their sales and turn over according to media reports earlier this year

ah so there wasnt a downturn for glass products that caused the sale of IBG?Not sure how the company that bought them profits in 2013 have anything to do with what happened 20+ years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lxflyer wrote: »
    Goatstown Road was in Goatstown the last time I checked Victor!!
    Apologies. I was confusing it with the Moutrabo site where the Bank of Ireland social club was.

And anyway, Goatstown isn't a real place, just a cross roads. Goatstown Road goes to Goatstown, it isn't in Goatstown (its in Friarland and Roebuck townlands). :p
    returnNull wrote: »
    ah so there wasnt a downturn for glass products that caused the sale of IBG?Not sure how the company that bought them profits in 2013 have anything to do with what happened 20+ years ago
    The main Irish Glass site was sold in 2006: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/glass-bottle-site-may-be-rented-29024526.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just posted a video I had here on tape for years - you might be interested in...

Inside the IGB factory (Ringsend) the day before it was closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKMJsyt3GBE

:)

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Video is private.

MYOB wrote: »
    Video is private.

oops - sorry bout that - updated the video link - any better?

Ill try explain some of it - the thing with the Jam jars is they never had a mug in the place - they would take a jam jar from the line and use that - afterwards - no clean up - they just tossed it back into the furnace to be melted again.

The white hot gobs coming down are the molten glass from the furnace - its cut to size and falls into place into one of the moulds where it is air blown up to size and flipped over onto the moving conveyor belt.

Bottles are cooled and shrink wrapped, sometimes double wrapped - automated systems load the self driving train and move the bottles around the factory on palettes.

Huge huge storage warehouses store the bottles.

what else I remember??? How those PCs worked with the dust I dont know - Oh look out for the guys conveyor belt trick at 10m55s :D

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ozmo wrote: »
    Just posted a video I had here on tape for years - you might be interested in...

Inside the IGB factory (Ringsend) the day before it was closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKMJsyt3GBE

:)

I reckon it was shut down on Health & Safety grounds. Did you see the state of that kitchen area at the beginning of the video. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hubertokeeffe

SITE ON GOATSTOWN RD. IS THE IGB WORKERS SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB. CLOSED DOWN IN 2003 WHEN FACTORY IN RINGSEND CLOSED AND WORKERS MADE REDUNDANT

SITE ON GOATSTOWN RD. IS THE IGB WORKERS SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB. CLOSED DOWN IN 2003 WHEN FACTORY IN RINGSEND CLOSED AND WORKERS MADE REDUNDANT

I went to a few Christmas parties there as a small kid- they threw great
    Christmas parties.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement