Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texts on Pre-recorded shows?

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi I'm just listening to the Hot Mix on 98FM* and Ezeke is plugging the textline asking for texts.

Is this even allowed? Because the show is clearly pre-recorded or voicetracked, there is no chance of your text being read out, even though you will still be charged 20 cent.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Ryan2me wrote: »
    Hi I'm just listening to the Hot Mix on 98FM* and Ezeke is plugging the textline asking for texts.

Is this even allowed? Because the show is clearly pre-recorded or voicetracked, there is no chance of your text being read out, even though you will still be charged 20 cent.

Thoughts?

Heard it last week and he was saying hello to so and so in someplace heading out for the night. Either this was just a made up text or maybe it is actually live?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan2me

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Heard it last week and he was saying hello to so and so in someplace heading out for the night. Either this was just a made up text or maybe it is actually live?

If you look on their webcams ( clicked into it by mistake instead of listen live) there's no one in the studio. He lives in the UK I think, just syndicated throughout the world. I think iRadio do the same.
    I think Ray Foley mentioned that some guy in Cork makes the mixes and Ezeke just does the links.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Thoughts?

Depends on context. If he's asking for people to text in to enter a competition then there's no issue as the winner can be contacted later. When NT were running Hook's Saturday Sit In they would frequently run text competitions during it.

If he's asking for requests, then that is a bit dodgy.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Depends on context. If he's asking for people to text in to enter a competition then there's no issue as the winner can be contacted later. When NT were running Hook's Saturday Sit In they would frequently run text competitions during it.

If he's asking for requests, then that is a bit dodgy.

He's basically saying " what are ya up to for the night let me know"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He's basically saying " what are ya up to for the night let me know"

Well then if it is pre-recorded then that is very dodgy.

The last possibility is that he's doing links live from where ever he is. I don't really listen to that show so I'm not sure. If it's obviously a pre-record then there's something really wrong with asking people for texts IMO.

• Advertisement

Well then if it is pre-recorded then that is very dodgy.

The last possibility is that he's doing links live from where ever he is. I don't really listen to that show so I'm not sure. If it's obviously a pre-record then there's something really wrong with asking people for texts IMO.

Looking on 98TV it doesn't look like there could be a live incoming feed. there's three slider thingy's up 2 for the music that are always up and one for the news so highly doubt it.

Looking on 98TV it doesn't look like there could be a live incoming feed. there's three slider thingy's up 2 for the music that are always up and one for the news so highly doubt it.

That's some impressive sleuthing right there man. :)

That's some impressive sleuthing right there man. :)

why thank you :P.

could be reading out the texts that came in during last weeks show...

cue 98fm reading this and running into studio to turn off the cameras or bringing a cardboard cutout of Ezeke in or... getting an old Jamaican man into studio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Rte frequently do/did it with the History Show. They ran segments Myles had recorded a few months earlier on the Today Show with Texts and all and no mention that it was pre-recorded. Realised it because they did one segment which was an interview with a man who had worked with Martin Luther King. I recognised the piece because of some interesting facts in it and later found on the Today Show podcast feed from about 6 weeks earlier. Never mentioned it was pre-recorded. Since then I assume most of these nighttime shows are pre-recorded and I certainly would not waste my money texting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

I actually thought it was against BAI regulations to advertise call/text lines during pre recorded shows?

• Advertisement

I actually thought it was against BAI regulations to advertise call/text lines during pre recorded shows?

I would assume it is

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

I would assume it is

I would doubt its anything to do with the BAI but falls under Comregs remit. You can not charge a person for a text if there is no purpose to the text or no hope of monetary gain or possibility that it may be read out.

In saying that if you run "please don't call or text bla bla" it gives the game away, that the show is voice tracked. So what's the answer?

I would doubt its anything to do with the BAI but falls under Comregs remit. You can not charge a person for a text if there is no purpose to the text or no hope of monetary gain or possibility that it may be read out.

In saying that if you run "please don't call or text bla bla" it gives the game away, that the show is voice tracked. So what's the answer?

just don't ask for participation i.e. don't ask for texts

Advertisement