Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use your tablet on a plane?

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭

Hi people, I have a very long flight in a few weeks and after recently acquiring a Tablet I would like to know is it possible to use it mid flight for emails and internet purposes or is that not possible and only games, streamed movies etc are allowed. Are all airlines the same with regard to use of Tablets. Apologies if this has been covered but I cant find much info from my airline about this.
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can use any tablet in offline (airplane) mode on any airline but whether you can use it for e-mail and other network-based activities would depend on whether the airline offers a Wi-Fi service and if they do, you can bet it will be expensive.

BTW, 'streamed movies' involves downloading the data as you watch the movie which would be a very silly and expensive way to watch a movie on a plane. If you want to watch a movie on the go, you really need to download it at home and then watch it in offline mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can't tell you how many studies have been done that prove electronics are harmless in the air (at least when they're switched off), even cell phones will inevitably be cleared for use because the bandwidth they use is so off-step from the avionic equipment by my understanding. Just turn of Bluetooth, WiFi and any cellular option you have and you're good. Doesn't mean you won't get a snotty whoore of a flight attendant who tells you to shut it off, but you risk repercussions by ignoring those directions.

Overheal wrote: »
    Can't tell you how many studies have been done that prove electronics are harmless in the air (at least when they're switched off), even cell phones will inevitably be cleared for use because the bandwidth they use is so off-step from the avionic equipment by my understanding. Just turn of Bluetooth, WiFi and any cellular option you have and you're good. Doesn't mean you won't get a snotty whoore of a flight attendant who tells you to shut it off, but you risk repercussions by ignoring those directions.

The snotty whoores would be jeopardising their jobs if they didn't request you to turn off your electronics if the carrier specifically requires it.

Standard inflight procedure isn't down to the snotty whoores, it's a diktat they must adhere to enforcing.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130604-why-we-turn-devices-off-on-planes
    But while definite proof may be lacking, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that the risks should be taken seriously. A report summarising 50 cases of safety issues thought to have been caused by personal electronic devices, was published in January this year. These were compiled from the US Aviation Safety Reporting System, a database maintained by Nasa, to which crew members can anonymously submit reports of safety problems. One such case was summarised as follows: "First Officer reports compass system malfunctions during initial climb. When passengers are asked to verify that all electronic devices are turned off the compass system returns to normal.”

The snotty whoore flight attendents also particularly like to have phones turned off during the safety announcement, as a person who's concentrating on reading their texts is unlikely to pay the proper attention to the safety procedures. A person with no clue what to do in an emergency is more likely to delay the evacuation of the plane, or to ignore the instructions of crew.

You may not appreciate the request, but the snotty whoores don't make the rules. Nor do they deserve to be called snotty whores for making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sorry, that was a little insensitive to people doing their job.

The people in charge of telling them how to do their job though are out of touch though.

Im not talking about Takeoff and landing either though, I've had attendants get grumpy about it during a flight before. They decided an iPod was prohibited but 2 seats up ignored a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The answer is maybe, probably yes in a decade !

A few airlines are offering in flight wifi, but it varies, the best coverage is in the US. I recall one airline I was on offered wifi for part of a long haul flight from germany to japan, but it was cut off at various points when over Russia and Chinese airspace. Either way its patchy, and its always possible that you might just get a plane without the necessary equipment anyway.

The connections are pretty slow also, so I think email and light browsing would be fine, but I can't see netflix working well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Standard opperating proceefure is that its needs to be totally switched off during take off and landing. Otherwise you can have it on but in flight mode so you wont be able to do any internet based activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ They do offer paid internet (through your credit card) on Aer Lingus during flights so internet activity through Ipad and Iphone must be allowed. I didint avail it though because at 12 euros an hour its a complete rip off.

Advertisement