Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Species of tick discovered...up someone's nose!

Options
  • 07-12-2013 3:50pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought this was an interesting one, equally disgusting as it is kind of funny:
    It was about three days after I'd left Africa that the pain in my nose became too severe to ignore. Starting as a dull ache niggling at the edge of my consciousness, it had gradually built in intensity to the point at which I had to stop what I was doing to investigate further.

I'd been unpacking items from an expedition to western Uganda, where I'd been observing chimpanzees: I'm a patho-biologist and research infectious diseases in nature. It was partly deep revulsion that had led to my ignoring the symptoms at first. I had a pretty good idea what I was going to find, because I'd experienced a similar sensation before.

Using an angled mirror and moving my body awkwardly, I was able to peer up my nose with the help of a torch. There it was, half a pinkie's length up, right where the cartilage meets the bone: the smooth, rounded backside of a fully engorged tick.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/07/experience-new-species-up-my-nose?CMP=fb_gu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Oh my. The thought of having to pull a tick out of my nose makes me ill! Great story though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Better than a leech, I guess. I remember reading about leeches that specialize on noses...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Better than a leech, I guess. I remember reading about leeches that specialize on noses...

Don't the common leeches often make their way into the noses of Ducks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

*crosses Uganda off holiday destination list*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't the common leeches often make their way into the noses of Ducks?

I didn´t know that. What I had in mind was (I think) a Himalayan species you can accidentally drink and then crawls up your nose and gets stuck in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement