Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTP server

Options
  • 07-12-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 8 NVR's/DVR's networked together with a windows 7 PC running the client viewer software.

Basically I can point the NVR's/DVR's to an external time source using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) configuration option, with the following settings:

• Server: Allows you to select a public or private NTP server. The default setting is PUBLIC SERVER. If you select a public NTP server, the
    HVR computes the average time from five public servers: time.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, timeb. nist.gov, ntp.nasa.gov, and clock.isc.org.

• Private Time Server: Allows you to enter the IP address of a private NTP server. The server must be set to PRIVATE SERVER before you
    can enter an IP address.

For security reasons, the PC or NVR's can not have access to the internet.
    Tech support advised the Private Time Server option, getting an offline NTP server application and running it on the PC. All other NVR's are then pointed to this application.

Can someone please recommend something that will work? It needs to be straightforward to change; e.g. for daylight savings etc.

I did a few searches online, but found nothing straightforward.

Think this may be the appropriate forum, please move if not.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

glynf wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 8 NVR's/DVR's networked together with a windows 7 PC running the client viewer software.

Basically I can point the NVR's/DVR's to an external time source using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) configuration option, with the following settings:

• Server: Allows you to select a public or private NTP server. The default setting is PUBLIC SERVER. If you select a public NTP server, the
    HVR computes the average time from five public servers: time.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, timeb. nist.gov, ntp.nasa.gov, and clock.isc.org.

• Private Time Server: Allows you to enter the IP address of a private NTP server. The server must be set to PRIVATE SERVER before you
    can enter an IP address.

For security reasons, the PC or NVR's can not have access to the internet.
    Tech support advised the Private Time Server option, getting an offline NTP server application and running it on the PC. All other NVR's are then pointed to this application.

Can someone please recommend something that will work? It needs to be straightforward to change; e.g. for daylight savings etc.

I did a few searches online, but found nothing straightforward.

Think this may be the appropriate forum, please move if not.

TIA.

You could try this link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ffb1df0b-7c6e-4b2d-8fdf-b4ca0c014266/configuring-windows-7-as-an-ntp-server?forum=winserverPN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks swampgas, think what I'm after is something like the Network Time System software mentioned in the mast post, ideally a small free service that runs in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can get satellite sync devices for things that can't be on the internet for its their good

kinda like :

http://css-timemachines.com/TM1000A-GPS-Network-Time-Server/M/B002RC3Q4Q.htm

Advertisement