Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting a teacher

Options
  • 06-12-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Should I report a teacher who I feel has bullied me and many other students.

I'm not going to talk about any specific incidents as I dont want to give away any identities. (school/ teacher)

She tries to force students to do stuff even when they don't want to. She keeps shouting at you until you agree to her. Most of the other teacher agree that she is terrible and disrespectful but don't want to go against their colleague.

She is a terrible teacher and spends most of the class trying to find out about your personal life.

Also, she dresses so inappropriately (short skirts/ dresses, low cut tops and she sits in a way that her underwear is on show. It is distgusting and horrible.

Everyday, at least 1 person normally ends up in tears because of her. Countless parents have complained.and she has been called into the office several times about her behaviour.

How would you make a complaint and would you have to reveal your identity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

First of all, sorry to hear of your issues regarding this teacher. I too have been in a relatively similar position and it is very difficult to resolve but the following are some suggestions:

Make sure that the complaint first of all is relevant and has a point as such i.e. specific incidents, education problems, emotional bullying etc.

Get everyone on board, or as many people as you can - it is very important that parents/guardians also support ye and even past pupils of the school.

Keep an 'incident diary' i.e. any specific 'bullying'/personal harassment cases

You could also take another approach such as crying in class in response to something directed to you - although other students may laugh, generally they will have good sympathy and support for you.

Also, don't approach the teacher with your/your classes problems. Go to the principal or deputy or it would be even stronger if parents get involved, especially re: the clothing issue.

It would be best to get everyone involved, as mentioned. Yes, she may not like you after, but she may have respect for you. Similar to everything in life, everyone will resolve different situations in different ways.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In this country you cannot accuse someone anonymously.
    Write down your concerns, get a group together if necessary and contact the Principal.

Be very specific and accurate about your complaints. You need proof of what you allege. 'I feel she bullies me' isn't proof. You need documented and witnessed incidents. Your opinion on short skirts etc. should not be included. Be prepared for the fallout of your allegations, should they be found to be unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

AliceRyan wrote: »
    Should I report a teacher who I feel has bullied me and many other students.

I'm not going to talk about any specific incidents as I dont want to give away any identities. (school/ teacher)

She tries to force students to do stuff even when they don't want to. She keeps shouting at you until you agree to her. Most of the other teacher agree that she is terrible and disrespectful but don't want to go against their colleague.

She is a terrible teacher and spends most of the class trying to find out about your personal life.

Also, she dresses so inappropriately (short skirts/ dresses, low cut tops and she sits in a way that her underwear is on show. It is distgusting and horrible.

Everyday, at least 1 person normally ends up in tears because of her. Countless parents have complained.and she has been called into the office several times about her behaviour.

How would you make a complaint and would you have to reveal your identity?

What do you mean by the bit in bold above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

1) If something that is extremely hurtful or wrong happens to you or another, leave the class and speak to the principal. It's hard to kick a kid out of your office who's demanding immediate intervention.

2) Feel free to call me out on ethics grounds but, if it is persistent perceived bullying:

Make an audio recording of classes, then write out a transcript of all bullying incidences. Make a written complaint, requiring the principal to investigate.

3) The above two points only apply if everything you said is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1) If something that is extremely hurtful or wrong happens to you or another, leave the class and speak to the principal. It's hard to kick a kid out of your office who's demanding immediate intervention.

2) Feel free to call me out on ethics grounds but, if it is persistent perceived bullying:

Make an audio recording of classes, then write out a transcript of all bullying incidences. Make a written complaint, requiring the principal to investigate.

3) The above two points only apply if everything you said is true.

The OP has so far not given any details of 'what the teacher made them do'. The OP might get more guidance if she was more forthcoming about what they are being made do.

Walking out of a class and demanding to see the principal won't work. It will not be seen as rational and there's no guarantee the principal will be available. That, and if the principal was to capitulate every time a student flounced out of class and went banging on their door there would be no discipline in the school whatsoever.

Also an employee is not supposed to be recorded in their workplace so recording what goes on in class without the teacher's knowledge is not going to do the OP any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

In my experience the principal will very rarely take the student's side. We had a god awful teacher when I was in 5th and 6th year. We constantly complained about her and her aggressiveness in class but nothing was ever done. The year behind us did the same and the year behind that. She's still teaching at the school the horrible witch. Sorry OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Also an employee is not supposed to be recorded in their workplace so recording what goes on in class without the teacher's knowledge is not going to do the OP any favours.

Surely the OP could use the recording to make a written transcript at home and then present the transcript?

When I started in first year, we had some awful teachers. Students complained about them for years and years, decades even for some teachers(As I later found out on a past pupils group on facebook) but nothing was ever done. Eventually, the principal and most of these teachers retired and were replaced. The difference is obvious.

With the way all these complaints are usually ignored regardless of how credible the student is or how many students complain, it seems like teachers' job security is valued more than their students' education.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

I experienced similar things at school. It's a terrible system that once you do a degree you get to have an unquestionable place of power and how you use it can shape the future of that generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

Ugh she sounds horrible! Yeah definitely keep a written record of what is going on and date it. You can absolutely make an anonymous complaint, and I would strongly urge you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

AliceRyan wrote: »

What age is this teacher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Ciara GaGa wrote: »
    Ugh she sounds horrible! Yeah definitely keep a written record of what is going on and date it. You can absolutely make an anonymous complaint, and I would strongly urge you do.

I think the concern about anonymous complaints is that a lot of people are assholes and will make up any old crap about a teacher they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

For the journal, stick to facts.

E.g. 17/12/13 - 9:05am Teacher questioned Mary about her personal life, Mary clearly uncomfortable
    17/12/13 9:10am - Teacher's underwear on view when she sat on desk
    17/12/13 9:20am - Teacher asked Fred to do x. Fred declined. Teacher screamed at Fred until he cried and agreed.

Bear in mind that a lot of this depends on what "stuff" she's making you do. If she's making you write an essay in English class when you don't want to, then tough. If she's insisting that the class studies Novel A, when they want to look at poetry, then tough. If she's making people do handstands during a maths class, then she's out of line, and there's cause to complain.

Asking about personal lives wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate if she's teaching some kind of civics/sexual health class. If it's that kind of situation then she may be getting frustrated trying to get a bunch of teenagers to engage in something that will be useful to them in the future. Let her know that the class is engaged and interested, but uncomfortable having certain discussions in front of each other, and come up with an alternative suggestion - for example submit questions/concerns on notes and let her deal

Get everyone in the class to keep a similar journal (don't confer - don't copy each others journals, it will be immediately obvious and weaken your argument), then sign them, photocopy them all at the end of the week/month and send copies to all parents, the principal and the board of management of the school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So, OP, are you going to respond to any of the replies?

What has happened since?

Advertisement