Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Registration District question

Options
  • 06-12-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Can anyone direct me towards an online source that gives a breakdown of all Registrar's Districts (RD) in each Superintendent Registrar's District/Civil Reg District?

Most specifically, I am trying to ascertain which Cavan Registration District Termon is in, as seen on this record (I presume Termon is the name of the RD, as my understanding is that the info 421, TERMON, CAVAN, IRE on this type of a Familysearch record refers to the RD.).

It is probably in the Civil Reg District of Bailieborough, but just want confirmation.

The usual confusion arises as Termon is the name of a townland also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the placenames appearing in these extracted civil birth records can be a Superintendent Registrar's District (generally referred to as a Registration District), a Sub-District (Registrar's District or Dispensary District), a townland, or sometimes the street where the registration office was located - e.g. High Street or Grand Canal St. Dublin.

You can usually confirm the registration district by looking for the page number in the 'address' - e.g. : Daphne Donohoe, 14 Aug 1871, 421, Termon, Cavan corresponds to this BMD Index entry : Daphne Donohoe / Registration District Bailieborough / Volume 12 / Page 421

In this case the Registrar's Districts within Bailieborough are Bailieborough, Crossbane, Kingscourt, Shercock and Termon. Unfortunately no way to be 100 % certain as to which Termon is being referenced (Townland or RD) on these particular extracted records, but more common in my experience for it to be the Registrar's district.

There are a few online sources for sub-district and Registration Districts, but dont think any breakdown to townland level. Will post a link when I find it...

Document (pdf) with the districts and sub-districts based on 1871 data here

also shows neighbouring registration districts, and lists by county etc

p.s. missed your link somehow.. here the matching BMD Index record showing the registration district and page number :
    Name Mary Smith
    Event Type Birth
    Year 1871
    Registration District Bailieborough
    Volume 12 / Page 421

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Great stuff Shane, thank you. Great tip too about the number reference.

some of the extracted records include page references as part of a separate references, field, and some also include the Register Volume number e.g.

Name : Mary Fitzsimon
    Birth Date : 20 Dec 1872
    Birthplace Dublin
    Mother's Name Mary Fitzsimon
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number C70150-6
    System Origin Ireland-EASy
    GS Film number 255862
    Reference ID v 17-1 p 867

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGHH-RDS

Not all the extracted records include references, and not all include a district, sometimes just assumed county as above (not always correct). The above matches with this index record, which is Rathdown District so Dublin or Wicklow : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYBB-YM3

Advertisement