Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback Time

Options
  • 06-12-2013 5:48pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our little forum is now five years old! We've seen it go from being unable to feed itself or do anything, to a hyperactive toddler, and now it's starting school. Pretty soon it'll be able to post here, even.

Now that's just set me on a bit of a "oh god, whut" tangent. Onto the point of this thread! We've got plenty of people posting in plenty of threads, but what we, the moderators (y'know, that wnolan1992 person and I) want to know is how can this forum be even better? What do you like, what do you dislike? How can we make things better?

I'll sticky this thread for a while so we can all have suggestions and discuss them. Feel free to jump in, whether you've been posting here for years or whether you've just lurked. We really want to hear from you all.

Also, for those wondering, there'll be a jizzlers thread soon. No, we haven't forgotten. I swear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Jizzlers <3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Might be time to demote some of the stickies. It wouldn't make a major difference to the forum, apart from making it look a bit more tidy! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Might be time to demote some of the stickies. It wouldn't make a major difference to the forum, apart from making it look a bit more tidy! :pac:

That's actually something I've been meaning to do for a while. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I find that my main problem, not with this forum but with Boards in general, is that I only ever check my currently followed threads for updates, so I rarely ever just check the forum itself. As a result I miss new threads, like this!!

But as regards to feedback, we need more peeps posting, maybe some more new thread ideas with a bit of longevity to them.

Also I think the name Clearasil & Hormones is a bit misleading to newcomers in that, this is basically just a forum for teenagers to have the craic but the name doesn't really suggest that!

But meh, I'm very tired so this is possibly useless feedback!

Merry Christmas!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I find that my main problem, not with this forum but with Boards in general, is that I only ever check my currently followed threads for updates, so I rarely ever just check the forum itself. As a result I miss new threads, like this!!

Yeah, a lot of people seem to do the same from what I can gather just from talking to people. Unfortunately though there isn't much that can be done from the C&H side to change that.
    But as regards to feedback, we need more peeps posting, maybe some more new thread ideas with a bit of longevity to them.

This is the big one IMO. It's always the same old stalwart threads being posted in. Now I'm not saying for a minute that those threads are bad, but you can imagine that if, for example, people are looking at Boards' homepage and seeing a thread title (like argh) they're less likely to check because they'll likely know what's being discussed.

What I've noticed is that a lot of topics get amalgamated into The Den and kind of get lost. Again, an outsider is less likely to start contributing to a thread like The Den which has 6,000 posts and is billed as an OT thread than might be likely to jump into a new thread that has a specific topic.
    Also I think the name Clearasil & Hormones is a bit misleading to newcomers in that, this is basically just a forum for teenagers to have the craic but the name doesn't really suggest that!

But meh, I'm very tired so this is possibly useless feedback!

Merry Christmas!!!!

I think (but maybe someone who's been around here longer than me could clarify) that the name of the forum came up for discussion before and nothing else really worked.

I do agree though, it's somewhat misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think (but maybe someone who's been around here longer than me could clarify) that the name of the forum came up for discussion before and nothing else really worked.

I do agree though, it's somewhat misleading.

I've been here an obscenely long time! :pac:

We ran a poll on it a few years back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732613

The tally was pretty close as the deadline approached, with the side in favour of a new name one vote ahead in the final hour.

Suddenly, and without warning, one of the 3 original C&H mods returned briefly from his self-imposed exile, voted NO, gloated, and then disappeared into the wilderness once more, never to post on Boards again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63012898#post63012898

The vote was tied, and the old name remained! It's a very entertaining thread. :)

Cheers IO. :)

I didn't realise that it was that close a vote.

These are my two favourite alternative suggestions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62888658&postcount=2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62890347&postcount=6

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Could we run another poll, would people be in favour of changing it? I think it could do with a change, it's not very obvious what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

A new forum name would be useful, if only to stop the occasional acne sufferer from wandering in looking for medical advice

I like DO's suggestion of The Breakfast Club, less misplaced dermatological problems and more misplaced cereal enthusiasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Could we run another poll, would people be in favour of changing it? I think it could do with a change, it's not very obvious what it's for.

Yes, definitely agree with this. It's not clear at all what the place is for!

• Advertisement

Let the people vote!

I suggest we call it "iamanengine's Forum"

Let the people vote!

I suggest we call it "iamanengine's Forum"

We'll get the Jizzler's outta the way first and then get on this in the new year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Bring back the introductions thread I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Well first of all This is a good thread and welcomed by today's current users.
    Gonna start with Iaae's thread

One way ive discovered to solve this problem because i was missing so much of C&H and still am but was to add the Forum to 'My forums' so that i could get the latest updates on this forum and others from around boards. now i know that's a thing individually but even putting a simple sticky with the title keep upto date on C&H with instructions on how to add the forum might help but not everyone would be interested and even doing do might just neglect it still. but an idea none the less.

Other topic on Name change i welcome. I'll be very sad to see the brand C&H go. but it's not representing us properly and i welcome a new thread for change. But as mentioned by Insect Overlord about old non participants of C&H , they may not part take in the new vote to make all things fair and equal, because it'd probably be a dead end. So i stand that a new thread be started for name change and grow a future brand that represents teenagers but also allows us to grow and still be members of this forum when were 20 something stupid to help new 'villagers' and just to make sure our work doesnt die by being neglected.

As mentioned by our Mod Wnolan92 the Den has basically become an intersection for many topics and things are being lost. I did open a new thread once that settled in the middle between yeah and argh but was thrown in with the den. problem is we need to define what is the den. Is it the middle location between argh and yeah where we still throw out our mixed feelings when we cant decide if it goes in either of the two or is it a place where we add videos, share links, and talk about teenage stuff and a proper chill den room where you have a laugh? But the main categories that should always remain are

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh
    aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh
    The Den [Off Topic Chat]
    [Sports] Sports Discussion Thread

idea threads
    Middle Ground [Sub between yeah and argh to allow the den to be focused]

looking through the Forum lot of good threads but there 3 and 4pages back. ie Half 4 in the morning, Christmas thread(did you know we have one edit 2! if you dont mind), abortion, law, dreams ,Introductions.. goes on and on.

What im thinking is one thread Stickied like an index to our Forum So that no matter how far they go back on the pages(Excluding the rule of 12months old unless that can be nulled for the sake of keeping the place clean)
    So we'd have our music thread, thread on tattoo's and piercings(I know there is a proper forum for that but for ourselves), grievances?(Idk), Outside of boards.ie, the jizzlers('11,'12,'13) ... so on so on. Mainly just the Main Topics of importance or possible relevance.
    Also too many playpen's. idea, Either dump or amalgamate all into one. they seem to make up for most of C&H.

So thats my 99cents

also. OMG cant believe c&h is 5years Happy Belated Birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I recently discovered this forum after thinking for a while it was devoted to skin problems. :pac:

So I guess I'm saying +1 on the misleading title debate.

I recently discovered this forum after thinking for a while it was devoted to skin problems. :pac:

So I guess I'm saying +1 on the misleading title debate.

Well that's what I said but we had a vote (twice) and a name change got rejected :( Although maybe what could be done would be a vote for yes or no to a name change and then if yes was voted then vote on the particular name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Can we make it an offence punishable by permaban to reveal Game of Thrones spoilers?

Can we make it an offence punishable by permaban to reveal Game of Thrones spoilers?

Not a permaban, but spoilers to anything will be dealt with. Case by case obvs, I mean there's a big difference between spoiling a show like Game of Thrones and spoiling a show people actually care about like Home and Away...

:P

As for the name change, from a strictly personal standpoint, I'd say it'll be left rest for at least a year or two. There was about four years between the two previous votes IIRC. I wouldn't want to go down the route of having another vote so soon just because the result wasn't to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

anyone who spoils H&A

Go's on
    The-List.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not a permaban, but spoilers to anything will be dealt with. Case by case obvs, I mean there's a big difference between spoiling a show like Game of Thrones and spoiling a show people actually care about like Home and Away...

You're right. A permaban does not go far enough. We need something drastic. I recommend a 1,500 word review of the Home Appliances forum.

• Advertisement

You're right. A permaban does not go far enough. We need something drastic. I recommend a 1,500 word review of the Home Appliances forum.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Bring back D4RK_ONION!!

Bring back D4RK_ONION!!

I hear he's pretty big in Japan!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement