Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 Help

Options
  • 06-12-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Does anybody have any advice on how i can achieve high grades in the following higher level subjects please?

English
    Irish
    Maths
    German
    Accounting
    Economics
    Chemistry
    Biology

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Study, practice and learn to search forums for the myriad of posts already made specific to those subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Find a technique that works well for each subject and that way you should do very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Study a topic from your book, then go to the exam papers and attempt a question. Correct your mistakes.
    Make out a list of each topic and cross it off as you're studying it.

Remember to take breaks every so often or you'll burn out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

only subjects i do there are irish, biology, english and german
    as said by others, exams papers are great revison but i dont think not so much for english. obviously see what are the typical questions asked for each poet,section of the exam etc and if possible get teacher to correct some essays u do in free time. main thing for me is really understanding the play, characters, themes and perhaps make some notes whatever suits you. i find german listening very difficult but make sure to put the cds on your ipod and listen to them whenever you can. theres some german websites that are helpful such a lillipuz (i think thats the spelling) and just listen to some of the podcasts, vids every once in a while. nothing better that doing bio exam papers, really. for irish, familiarise yourself again with typical questions and just make sure you understand your pros, novel etc

again these are things that help me, not necessarily you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Hey :D

I do biology :)
    For Biology all you need to do is practice exam papers.
    It's different for me cause I go to an Irish school.
    But if you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE it'll all come to you.
    Also know the experiments; keep a copy book in which you write them out.
    My teacher sent us (by email) all the mocks our school had from 2005 - 2012.
    I have them all done as well as the actual exam papers from 2005 - 2013 :D
    And sometimes I'll redo them again.

For Irish...
    1. Expand on your vocab. It's good to put a bit of the Modh Coinniolach in :D Vocab is the key to paper 1.
    2. Poems are worth less in the written exam than the reading of them in the oral.
    But it's always good to know the poems; I find them really easy.
    3. Pros; I've only started revising now. All I did was make mind maps about them and I did questions on them.
    4. Are you doing An Triail? Most answers are structured in the same fashion so do a few. I haven't done a lot for an Triail. I know the drama reasonably well; and quotes.
    5. PRACTICE TAPES!

I can't really advise on English. Good Luck anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

Accounting
    Layouts and Formulas are everything.
    Interpretation is on exam every year as Q7 and easy to get 90+/100 if you know your formula's.
    Know the workings - it is essential. You can get 70-80% of the marks if your workings are accurate.

English
    Peotry - THere is really a limited amount that can be asked about each poet so be able to form a personal response that can be easily adapted. Remember TTQ - Theme, Technique, Quote

Comparative - Again quite limited in what can be asked and easily adaptable.
    Pick 3 characters from each text/film and prepare - Development, Key Moment, Impact on main character, Conclusion. Make 5-6 points for the 70 marks.

Macbeth - More difficult but if you have a general idea of themes, characters and QUOTES you can handle any question.

Comprehensions - Practice!

Essay - Plan before writing and stick to the point.

Advertisement