Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beacon Apartments, Sandyford

Options
  • 06-12-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a female in my early 30s looking to rent around the Sandyford/Dundrum area of Dublin, and have seen many places pop up in the different apartment blocks in The Beacon.

Just wondering what this area is like? Is it safe enough for someone walking over and back to the LUAS line if they work late into the evening? Is it mostly young professionals living in the area?

I don't know that part of Dublin very well, and would like to hear opinions from anyone living there. I've heard that it can be kind of dead at night, which doesn't bother me as long as it's safe enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to live in one of the blocks next to the Beacon until a few months ago. The area is safe, never had any issues and I lived there for a few years. There are a few more restaurants etc. around now so it's not quite as quiet anymore at nights and weekends now. I think it's mostly young professionals that live there, plus a few families and a few older people that downsized, and a few students.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

one thing I really dont like about SOME of the beacon apartments is, they really are dark, small and depressing! Not in beacon one, but in the cubes...

is it a one bed you are looking to rent? where will you be working etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

miezekatze wrote: »
    I used to live in one of the blocks next to the Beacon until a few months ago. The area is safe, never had any issues and I lived there for a few years. There are a few more restaurants etc. around now so it's not quite as quiet anymore at nights and weekends now. I think it's mostly young professionals that live there, plus a few families and a few older people that downsized, and a few students.

Thanks miezekatze, it's good to know that the area is safe and that you've lived there for a few years without issue. Also great to learn that it's got a bit more buzz to the place now too. I was looking at it on Google streetview and it looked a bit depressing there, so glad to hear it's a decent area.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is it a one bed you are looking to rent? where will you be working etc?

I don't think I can afford one bed prices on my own to be honest, I'm looking more at apartment sharing with other professionals. I'm working in the city centre so near the LUAS is ideal for me.

I'm already living further into the city along the LUAS line but will have to move in January so looking for somewhere new.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    one thing I really dont like about SOME of the beacon apartments is, they really are dark, small and depressing! Not in beacon one, but in the cubes...

I know what you mean, but unfortunately I don't really have many options given the way rent prices in Dublin are going at the moment. I'm lucky enough to have a decent government job which means I have security, but it doesn't pay a lot so I have to stick to a budget and I know that will mean some compromises either in location or the kind of apartment I rent.

• Advertisement

to be honest, I think you would be better off somewhere in Dundrum or close to the luas (Ranelagh or Rathmines) with a village or town feel, a bit of buzz around the place...

To be honest I'm not worried about buzz, I actually prefer a quiet location. My current place is nice and quiet! I just want to know that the place is safe really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I live beside the Beacon and am up here 25 years never have I seen any trouble and your only 10mins from the mountains the same for Dundrum 15mins from the sea what more could a person ask for ?

That's exactly it Carpenter, I like the location a lot. The LUAS makes life easy then for working in the city.

Plus I keep thinking that winter snow showers must look amazing from those high apartment blocks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

There's a load of apartments coming on line in the new Sandyford block, they will be rented 1- 2 years at least (at least that's what I was told 2 months ago) they might be nice at the right price. I'm just not sure if they will fit your January timeline.

• Advertisement

There's a load of apartments coming on line in the new Sandyford block, they will be rented 1- 2 years at least (at least that's what I was told 2 months ago) they might be nice at the right price. I'm just not sure if they will fit your January timeline.

Thanks, do you mean that they will be let in 1 - 2 years time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

BlueFairy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a female in my early 30s looking to rent around the Sandyford/Dundrum area of Dublin, and have seen many places pop up in the different apartment blocks in The Beacon.

Just wondering what this area is like? Is it safe enough for someone walking over and back to the LUAS line if they work late into the evening? Is it mostly young professionals living in the area?

I don't know that part of Dublin very well, and would like to hear opinions from anyone living there. I've heard that it can be kind of dead at night, which doesn't bother me as long as it's safe enough.

It is a safe area and can be quiet as distinct from dead. There are a few outlets such as Dunnes Stores, O Briens Off Licence, Ben Dunne Gym in one section and then the Beacon Hotel has lounge, restaurant.

It is one stop from Ballaly on the Luas which serves Dundrum Town Centre so you are not exactly out in the sticks.

Thanks for that Santa Cruz, it sounds like it would be my ideal area to live in. Hopefully will be able to find an apartment there now, it's a stressfull time looking for accommodation in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

BlueFairy wrote: »
    Thanks, do you mean that they will be let in 1 - 2 years time?
    nah I mean let rather than sold on completion, I reckon they will be completed very soon.

OK I see what you mean, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if it will be helpful since I kind of need to move in January, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Did you find a place ????

Advertisement