Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swimming injuries

Options
  • 06-12-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

anybody else suffering from swimming related injuries?
    Ive been out since about March, shoulder rotator cuff and damaged pecs. Going to the physio regularly, I have reduced my swimming to 1 session a week instead of 4 - 5, and my one session now is mostly legs only.
    I have made a lot of progress and my physio thinks I might be able to go back to do some training in the new year.
    Anybody else suffering or developing similar swimming related injuries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Luckily I have been injury free so far. I do some light weight training on my rotator cuff from time to time. I also ensure I do at 10% BC during training, get it in during warm up and down.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Rotator cuff injury is common enough I believe. Ive had a mild version of it. I changed my swim stroke and avoid certain strokes like butterfly, and did remedial strength work and stretching, and it hasn't recurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

One of my team mates got surgery done on his shoulder. Turned out to be worse than thought, ligament damage etc. Out for at least 6 months. He is gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

with me it was a long build up, in 2012 I was training hard for the world masters in Italy, for the 200m fly, once that was over my focus was on a 10K OW swim in beautiful Lough Gill in Sligo in August, once that was over focus was back on my fly training, I think my poor shoulders gave up by new year time frame in 2013 and Im now paying the price......

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I partially dislocated my shoulder a number of years back. Swimming has helped but I find if I swim a number of days in a row it can get quite stiff and sore until it gets going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Swim injuries I see all the time at club level and in triathlon clubs. Almost exclusively shoulder injuries.
    It's depressing actually, a woman told me the other day her 10 year old was having persistent problems with their shoulder, a ten year old....

The reasons are far from rocket science

Poor form:

1. Mostly in adults improving swimming in triathlon clubs. using "old" 3d S technique which tells you to enter thumb first with hand during stroke. Puts a lot of stress on shoulder in this position, try it! Modern flat palm to water entry places arm in much more neutral position.

2. Straight arm pull during the catch phase in FC, again puts huge stress on the shoulders.

Over training:

13 or 14 year olds in swim clubs doing 14 hrs week in the pool plus land (strength) and additional cardio (running).
    Then add in the other sports most of them do, football, athletics, basketball and so on. This is for a child still developing.
    Think about it, are you surprised that so many have these injuries?
    How many go on to swim after the leaving cert or junior cert? Is it even 5%, I'd say that figure is optimistic.
    Adults don't have time in the main to commit this kind of time so it's not as much of a factor.

Improper training:

1. Lack of variety: "I'm doing a triathlon so why do I need to do any back crawl or anything other than FC?" Guess what, any good swimmers I know mix it up, see Okane's point above.

2. Adults in triathlon clubs overdoing it with hand paddles. No need for it, they're a training aid to be used occasionally and properly.

Notice masters swimming didn't really feature here, why? These people have the form down already so that's ruled out. They have conditioned and mature bodies through years of swimming and their age. As masters, have limited time to train and don't overdo it and many race in all four disciplines so have a nice mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Glutes

promethius wrote: »
    Swim injuries I see all the time at club level and in triathlon clubs. Almost exclusively shoulder injuries.
    It's depressing actually, a woman told me the other day her 10 year old was having persistent problems with their shoulder, a ten year old....

The reasons are far from rocket science

Poor form:

1. Mostly in adults improving swimming in triathlon clubs. using "old" 3d S technique which tells you to enter thumb first with hand during stroke. Puts a lot of stress on shoulder in this position, try it! Modern flat palm to water entry places arm in much more neutral position.

2. Straight arm pull during the catch phase in FC, again puts huge stress on the shoulders.

Over training:

13 or 14 year olds in swim clubs doing 14 hrs week in the pool plus land (strength) and additional cardio (running).
    Then add in the other sports most of them do, football, athletics, basketball and so on. This is for a child still developing.
    Think about it, are you surprised that so many have these injuries?
    How many go on to swim after the leaving cert or junior cert? Is it even 5%, I'd say that figure is optimistic.
    Adults don't have time in the main to commit this kind of time so it's not as much of a factor.

Improper training:

1. Lack of variety: "I'm doing a triathlon so why do I need to do any back crawl or anything other than FC?" Guess what, any good swimmers I know mix it up, see Okane's point above.

2. Adults in triathlon clubs overdoing it with hand paddles. No need for it, they're a training aid to be used occasionally and properly.

Notice masters swimming didn't really feature here, why? These people have the form down already so that's ruled out. They have conditioned and mature bodies through years of swimming and their age. As masters, have limited time to train and don't overdo it and many race in all four disciplines so have a nice mix.

Completely agree with Promethius. You would probably benefit from more variety in your programme. Maybe also have your swimming technique analysed by a coach. Strength improvement in scapula area, core (stomach, hip, lower back, glutes) and lats will help you to stay safe from reinjuring after you get back into the pool.

Advertisement