Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bravely Default (3DS)

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be a thread on this (and it's out today).

This is getting very strong reviews (best Square Enix RPG in years, apparently), has a clever battle system and gorgeous artwork. About 40 hours long too, so it's a manageable length.

It has microtransactions (boooo), but the game is balanced enough that you don't need them (think of them as a cheat to get past tougher battles).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/bravely-default

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't wait for this. Unfortunately I have to wait for the US release :( oh well back to Shin Megami Tensei IV :P

It's got a good pedigree behind it. It's being made by Matrix Software who make the 3DS versions of FF3 and FFIV and the overlooked and excellent FF Four Heroes of Light which this is supposedly a spiritual sequel to. They also made Alundra way back on the PS1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Will be getting for Xmas, cannot bloody wait. This game basically sold me on a 3DS.

What are the other best RPGs on the 3DS by the way? I'm thinking SMT4, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Will be picking it up at some stage, very intrigued by the sentiment in a lot of reviews that it captures the essence of classic Final Fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

danthefan wrote: »
    What are the other best RPGs on the 3DS by the way? I'm thinking SMT4, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey?

With those 3 games you'll be well sorted for months to come. They are all top class games. There's plenty of other greats game son the system, not just RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Got it today and the graphics are amazing on it :D I could be wrong but I think Bravely Default 2 came out today in Japan as well.

Fire Emblem is a brilliant game I would buy that one first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

wont be able to pick this up probably till after christmas , defiantly on my list

ollie1 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think Bravely Default 2 came out today in Japan as well.

You are wrong but understandably so. Bravely Default: For the Sequel came out which is an update of Bravely Default. It has English language built in as well but unfortunately it's only playable on a japans 3ds. A sequel has however been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gamestop, HMV/Xtravision didn't get this yet. Argos have stock for €45.99, too much for me at the moment myself but just in case anyone is on the hunt.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With those 3 games you'll be well sorted for months to come. They are all top class games. There's plenty of other greats game son the system, not just RPGs.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but any particular recommendations?

Anyway on this game, from the reviews it seems to be the RPG I've been yearning for for the last few years. The latest FF games have been (imo of course) complete trash, Lightning needs to leave and never come back. There's actually a sequel, Bravely Second, already announced in Japan. So hopefully this will sell well and force a localisation.

Only downside is there seems to be microtransactions, which in general I'm just not a fan of, but they don't seem overly intrusive.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You are wrong but understandably so. Bravely Default: For the Sequel came out which is an update of Bravely Default. It has English language built in as well but unfortunately it's only playable on a japans 3ds. A sequel has however been confirmed.

I was under the impression that the European version is the updated version?

Don't mean to derail the thread, but any particular recommendations?

It's hard t choose between the three you named in fairness. They all offer something different and are top of their game in their niche.

I'd recommend Mario 3D Land, Crimson Shroud, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Kid Icarus, Pushmo,Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Shinobi.

I was under the impression that the European version is the updated version?

It could well be. Usually they update japanese RPGs for the western release and rerelease them in japan as 'international' editions with english audio sometimes included. This seems to fit the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really looking forward to playing this as well. Hopefully by the time Christmas rolls around I will have most cleared my 3DS backlog. Then there'll hopefully two RPG timesinks in the form of this and Etrain Odyssey to set me right back to square one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has anyone played it yet, have to wait till Christmas day for it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I am playing it at the moment its excellent. You will be having a good Christmas playing it so worth the wait :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Has anyone played it yet, have to wait till Christmas day for it :mad:

Hahahaha oh sure god love ya :-D

Wishing I had a 3ds :(

Hahahaha oh sure god love ya :-D

Wishing I had a 3ds :(

The other half is evil, its under the tree looking at me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played the first couple of hours this morning (up to first boss battle). The Brave/Default system is very clever.

Hope to wrap Zelda up this week, and BD will be my lying-on-couch-in-front-of-the-fire game for Christmas. :)

Finally got my hands on this yesterday, been loving it so far, so many nods to past Square games in it as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on this yesterday, been loving it so far, so many nods to past Square games in it as well.

*jealous*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got my 3DS yesterday decided to buy the digital copy from Game online. Didn't realise how big it is and now I'm gonna have to buy a new SD card as I've not enough room on the one that came with the machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

It's a really great game. Just started Chapter 1, but have zelda to finish as well as numerous other games on my other consoles. But I think I'll be playing alot of this over the next while

• Advertisement

About 5 or 6 hours into this and really enjoying it. You need to grind a bit which is the only annoying thing, but I really like the design and the Brave/Default thing is a nice twist on the traditional RPG battle system.

I'm new to the 3DS and I haven't figured out if I like the 3D or not yet. Seems if I move my head slightly it goes totally out of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

About 5 or 6 hours into this and really enjoying it. You need to grind a bit which is the only annoying thing, but I really like the design and the Brave/Default thing is a nice twist on the traditional RPG battle system.

I'm new to the 3DS and I haven't figured out if I like the 3D or not yet. Seems if I move my head slightly it goes totally out of focus.

Yeah it took me a while to get used to.

I have not had to grind yet and am 10+ hours in now, the game fits like a glove for me, but then again I have played nearly every game Square has put out RPG wise, if you loved FF 3&5 you should have no issues, it is very similar, errily in fact in some places.

Pleasantly surprised by the length of the game, takes close to 90 hours for the main story and side quests and another 25 hours if you are a completionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Got it in argos for 46e :) loved the demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Anyone know how to specify what second job to give a character? Say, I have a character that's trained as a Freelancer and a Knight, and now I want to train them as a Black Mage, but retaining the special skills of a Freelancer (eg Scan.) So I want in battle to be able to select Abilities and there will be one option for Black Mage, and another for Freelancer. But when I make the change, they retain the skills of a Knight (eg Stomp), and I see no option to change this, and don't know why it was selected. Any ideas?

Isn't an easy game I don't think. Not so difficult its annoying, just not as easy as I seem to expect from JRPG's these days. Say ni no kuni etc.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Anyone know how to specify what second job to give a character? Say, I have a character that's trained as a Freelancer and a Knight, and now I want to train them as a Black Mage, but retaining the special skills of a Freelancer (eg Scan.) So I want in battle to be able to select Abilities and there will be one option for Black Mage, and another for Freelancer. But when I make the change, they retain the skills of a Knight (eg Stomp), and I see no option to change this, and don't know why it was selected. Any ideas?

Menu ---> Ability ---> Job Command and then set it to whatever other job you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So I'm maybe around four or five hours into this. I have to confess I got a frightful shock in the middle of that. The first proper boss fight (the one with the healing mage) and then the next dungeon are baptisms of fire - I was struggling to survive, even with a decent grasp of the Bravely / Default system. I was actually even scared to go back to it because this seemed to be an incredibly, maybe even overly challenging game that just kept loading system after system on me. My resources were badly drained, meaning I could barely even afford a Phoenix Down if needed. Whisper it: I even toyed with setting it to easy :eek:

But I went back today, no settings change, and quickly lost a few hours to it. Once you get your fourth party member everything clicks into place, and if anything at the moment I'm now extremely overpowered, waltzing through most standard battles in the first round with no damage (don't expect that to last for long!). The battle system is terrific fun, and it's great that you can alter the speed to keep things ticking along at your own pace. That difficult hour might have even been a blessing in disguise to help me adjust to the rules. The job system is really interesting, although I know it's going to drive me insanely OCD when I start having more options to pick from. And the graphics - wow. They're a bit technically murky because of the 3DS, but I love the 'handdrawn' backgrounds, makes it a really interesting world to explore.

• Advertisement

It gets harder. I find the boss battles an absolute bitch in fact.

Advertisement