Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD TV Play Media Player £34.99 (€43.75)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Be warned this is a quite limited device - read the reviews. Does do Netflix tho'- which is nice.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Roku LT is only £5 more, although slightly lower spec it has many more Apps and a better development scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats a cheap alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

This is €120

Is it any good? Id be just using it for Netflix
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media-Player/312176/143.1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ozmo wrote: »
    Be warned this is a quite limited device - read the reviews. Does do Netflix tho'- which is nice.

In what sense? I have the old model and never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

In what sense? I have the old model and never had a problem with it.

I don't have one - but quick google shows this one doesn't connect to SAMBA or NFS like the other wd models do - only does dnla which is pants (more hassle and lower quality). Also mentioned was its a bit slow, crashes a lot in Netflix and doesn't handle all sound formats eg. DTS like the WD Live does.
    Definitely the budget model of the WD series.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Dman001 wrote: »
    The Roku LT is only £5 more, although slightly lower spec it has many more Apps and a better development scene.

The Roku LT is actually £5 cheaper, courtesy of HUKD;)

I've bought the OP as the addition of the USB & Ethernet ports are worth the fiver IMO. Its a budget box as stated above, but fine for netflix in the bedroom, and external HDD playback via the USB.

The Roku 3 is the way to go, but its almost 3 times the price, or the "older" ATV, but they are commanding silly money at the moment.

beauf wrote: »
    Whats a cheap alternative?

You're at the budget end of the spectrum here; will be difficult to find cheaper alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

James__10 wrote: »
    This is €120

I've got that one, and I've found Netflix to be a bit buggy. I often have to restart the app after watching one movie or episode. I don't think it's a network issue either. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives if you just need Netflix and aren't bothered about uPNP streaming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

raspberry pi is a good cheap alternative if you have the spare parts lying about(plug/micro sd etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone recommend a good media player with wifi and a harddrive in it too?

dodzy wrote: »
    You're at the budget end of the spectrum here; will be difficult to find cheaper alternative.

Theres always hope!

Power city have some expensive alternatives.

Panasonic MST60EBS 119.95
    4Like Smart Internet Stick 89.95
    Energy Sistem Android Smart TV 99.99
    And you have the Apple TV and WD Live box

I originally got a Smart BluRay Player and thats worked out ok as a media/netflix box. But I'd like one that has some of the streaming players like RTE player and such which you can get on some devices.

I think if I was doing it again I'd prefer an open system like a rasberry pi, but thats only for the techies.

The Wii and the XBox 360 can also do Netflix if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

This is €120

It's a lot cheaper from Amazon (£59)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TV-Live-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386344468&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+media+player

I have it and it works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

This is €120

its fine, ive found netflix buggy too, but only because i use unblockus.
    as stated in another post you will find it much cheaper else where.
    think its about 100 quid in maplins.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Netflix over 720p. No USB. No Ethernet. Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I had considered the ROKU LT Media Streamer, but decided against for the sole reason that you must register your credit card information, regardless of whether you purchase any of the premium services.
    As it is a gift for a teenager, I would not want to do this.
    I also resent being forced to do this as a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

ozmo wrote: »
    The main limitation seems to be that it does not decode DTS audio, so that although it plays MKV files, it may not play the audio if it is in DTS format.

It does list Dolby TrueHD audio as a supported audio format, so maybe a firmware update could resolve that issue. I see it also has a TOSLINK audio connector, so if connected to an amplifier with an optical cable, the amp should be able to decode the DTS audio stream.

It will stream Netflix, has built in wifi, and has a usb port through which it can play media files from attached HDDs or thumb drives. A couple of years ago, a device with these features would have cost more than €100.

The reviews on Amazon seem good, and I have not seen any that complain of Netflix being buggy or crashing, but we shall see.

If I were to consider an alternative, I may buy a smart blu-ray player with similar features, but it would cost perhaps €20 or so more for the cheapest ones by known brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

coldfire1x wrote: »

I have this as well also bought from amazon and I love it.
    Considering getting a second one and having it hooked up to the Xbox one until they get their finger out for the local streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Small price drop on this one, £32.99 now. I took the plunge anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CL61A5A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im a bit lost with what these devices can do. My parents have a spare non saorview tv and would like to be able to use it to watch cctv footage over the internet. They are able to on smartphones at the moment. Would a device like this or nowtv etc be suitable for such a purpose?

Something like a Rasberry Pi might be more along the lines of what you want Or one of the android boxes with the play store and a decent browser. if they had iPhones maybe an Apple TV and use mirroring? If the TV had DNLA you might be able to send stuff from the phone or tablet to the TV screen.

or a tablet, as ozmo said. Might be the simplest.

is there a reason they want it on the TV? Is it to record?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its more an eyesight problem and a phones screen being too small as well as them feeling better if it was on all the time in the background.
    Its their business they keep an eye on so they have an everfocus dvr at the site that can be viewed on site or via an app called mobilefocus on apple or android phones or pads and it can also be viewed via certain web browsers though a static ip address. It works on internet explorer but not on chrome.

Thanks for all the help.

Find an old PC / laptop and connect that to the TV, use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Simple and cheap. Get one you can put a cheap gfx card in it, with a HMDI etc. You can also get a VGA to HMDI converter, or even S video out on some cards/laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭zeromemory

Does this support network streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This article says it supports uPNP if that's any use to you http://www.legitreviews.com/western-digital-wd-tv-play-media-player-review_2140

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

are there any good options for media player with storage under €150 ish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

**** all of this ****

Advertisement