Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Trip Ideas from Dublin By Bus or Train (no car)

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Lots of people who live in Dublin do not have a car, including people who have moved here from other countries. There are loads of wonderful places around Ireland to visit during the weekend - that much is very true. However so many require that you have a car to either get there or to explore the historic or scenic attractions.

I am hoping for recommendations for weekend destinations in Ireland that are worth visiting when you live in Dublin and do not have a car. So places that you can get to by bus or train AND have enough things to see and do for a Saturday and Sunday stay.

I'll list the obvious tourist-popular cities below since these places are easy to visit from Dublin and have plenty going on even if you do not have a car. Where else would you suggest or alternatively which places are not worth a full weekend unless you hire a car?
    • Galway
    • Cork
    • Kilkenny
    • Waterford
    • Belfast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

You could go to Derry good craic up there with good nightlife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, but don't you have to call it Derry London Derry or get grief from the locals for not being PC?

I was watching a program on d'telly the other night and I couldn't take the presenter seriously since he kept saying DerryLondonDerry to keep everyone happy.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

zagmund wrote: »
    Yeah, but don't you have to call it Derry London Derry or get grief from the locals for not being PC?

I was watching a program on d'telly the other night and I couldn't take the presenter seriously since he kept saying DerryLondonDerry to keep everyone happy.

z

Nah most locals call it derry so dont worry about calling it LondonDerry just outside it depending on who you meet might get offended if you call it one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

carrick-on-shannon and westport are really good weekends spots with direct access from dublin via irish rail. there is quite a bit to do in terms of outside the town as well, carrick has the moon river cruise, westport has croagh patrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Aran Islands.

Get the plane out.

Then go back to Dubland and tell the neighbours you were on a tranatlantic flight that weekend.

You won't be lying and you'll have a great time there.

Smiles all round. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

You could go to Derry good craic up there with good nightlife

Any idea the best way to get to Derry by train or bus? I'm worried it might be too far for a weekend if you have to switch in Belfast first but I'm not sure of the timings. Of course if there was a direct service like the Galway bus that would be great!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    carrick-on-shannon and westport are really good weekends spots with direct access from dublin via irish rail. there is quite a bit to do in terms of outside the town as well, carrick has the moon river cruise, westport has croagh patrick.

Carrick-On-Shannon is new to me. Direct from Dublin via Irish Rail helps. I'm assuming it is more fun in the warmer months.

Other people have suggested Westport as a good weekend destination so it is high on my list. Though I'm not sure how easy it is to get to hiking areas such as Croagh Patrick as you recommend without a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ScottSF wrote: »
    Any idea the best way to get to Derry by train or bus? I'm worried it might be too far for a weekend if you have to switch in Belfast first but I'm not sure of the timings. Of course if there was a direct service like the Galway bus that would be great!

Direct buses from Busaras run by both Bus Eireann and Ulsterbus. 4 hour journey usually though sometimes there might be switch in Omagh (based on info from a long time ago). Forget the train. As for what to call Derry, in the city centre area most don't care.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360760073-033.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Carlingford is a lovely spot and not too far away.
    http://www.carlingford.ie/index.php/getting-to-carlingford

Carlingford is a lovely spot and not too far away.

Definitely worth adding to the list. Looks like you have to change buses in Newry or Dundalk (worth stopping for shopping or lunch?) so requires a bit of planning to match up the schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

For those looking for a day out and some easy trail walking ( pick a nice day )

Take the DART ( or bus ) out to Howth, take the 'cliff walk' around Howth Head and then go on to Sutton, Get the DART ( or bus ) back from Sutton to Dublin.

http://www.howthpathways.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Carrick? Are you mad? I like Leitrim, but I dunno about nightlife ...

I'd recommend Cork city as a base and take trips to Kinsale and/or Bantry.

Galway's great for sights and nightlife.

Westport is splendid.

Carlingford is on my list.

Belfast's great craic and very interesting if you're into, you know, history.

Kilkenny is lovely, quaint, historical, atmospheric, but I find the county boring and it wouldn't keep me (even if my blood is half from there).

Waterford's quite nice, too - rougher around the edges, but a historic city all the same with nice walks.

Indeed, a bus to Galway and a ferry trip to one of the Aran islands would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

ScottSF wrote: »
    Carrick-On-Shannon is new to me. Direct from Dublin via Irish Rail helps. I'm assuming it is more fun in the warmer months.

Other people have suggested Westport as a good weekend destination so it is high on my list. Though I'm not sure how easy it is to get to hiking areas such as Croagh Patrick as you recommend without a car.

Croagh Patrick is only a few miles outside Westport so taxi is cheap enough. Nice pub at the bottom for a few well earned pints too

Advertisement