Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire or Paperwhite?

Options
  • 06-12-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, getting the wife one of these, which one would folk advise?
    She wants primarily an e reader but I know that if it also has good internet WiFi connectivity she would also use it for email, facebook,etc.
    Am I right in thinking the Paperwhite is a very good e reader but poor internet use wise and the Fire kind of the other way around?
    Could anyone help me out please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've a nexus tablet (similar to kindle fire) and a paperwhite, I never use the tablet for reading books. It is too harsh on the eyes after a while, especially if you read in bed with the lights out. The paperwhite is fantastic for reading, it is like reading a book, the white light is very soft and doesn't strain the eyes plus the device is very light for holding while reading. If she only wants to read books, then paperwhite is better.

If she reads magazines or comics then the tablet would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

If you decide to get an ereader check stock levels in Argos UK for the nook glow light, its not showing up in store but I got one for £49 when I used the catalog code from their site. Bargain ,

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Thanks for replies.What's the main differences between Paperwhite 3G and Paperwhite WiFi?Apart from 3G costing €219 and the WiFi €129?I take it they read as well as each other, I understand the difference between 3G and WiFi, but is one of them a better experience when going online?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The only difference is that it has a 3G chip, everything else is the same. The 3G chip allows you to download books almost anywhere in the world using a local mobile network at no cost to you. If you travel a lot it is a nice feature to have, otherwise you can just download books when you are on a wi-fi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Only difference with 3G is that it can connect to internet when away from wifi reception areas - like a mobile phone. There's no subscription to pay, hence the rather high up-front cost. I would wonder whether the 3G even works in Ireland mind you.
    Kindle e-readers (e.g. the paperwhite you're talking about) are pretty hopeless for web browsing in my experience. The display is black & white for starters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

projectgtr wrote: »
    If you decide to get an ereader check stock levels in Argos UK for the nook glow light, its not showing up in store but I got one for £49 when I used the catalog code from their site. Bargain ,

Could you share the code?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Pique wrote: »
    Could you share the code?
    Thanks.

Sorry i was on my mobile at the time, here it is, weird i couldnt see it in their book or using their instore touch screen catalog.

501/1283

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5011283.htm

Advertisement