Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea angling day out as a gift: recommendations?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    I want to get a Christmas present for my father of a day's sea angling for him and his brother, and accommodation for the night.

They're both used to the sea (used to have boats) and it would be great to get them on the salt water again for the day, if for the craic more than anything else.

Some questions:
    1) Can anyone recommend a company? Location doesn't really matter too much. One is in Galway, the other is in Tipp so either way there'll be travelling... but West Cork and Northern Ireland are a bit too far... somewhere a bit closer to home would be nice

2) Are there any packages out there for angling & accom?

3) For sea angling, is it seasonal? I don't want them freezing so would aim to send them April/May

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bazza2311

Hi John

You should try Kevin and his boat the 43FT Aquastar (Maighdean Mara)., great skipper always works hard to get you on the fish. He operates out of Spiddal. PM me if you want his number or web site. I am sure he would find accomodation as well. But seeing as you dad is from Galway that wouldn´t be an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bazza2311 wrote: »
    Hi John

You should try Kevin and his boat the 43FT Aquastar (Maighdean Mara)., great skipper always works hard to get you on the fish. He operates out of Spiddal. PM me if you want his number or web site. I am sure he would find accomodation as well. But seeing as you dad is from Galway that wouldn´t be an issue anyway.

Thanks for the info, but Spiddal is a bit too close, i'm hoping to get them to go away for the night so they can have a few drinks after! If they stay in Galway they'll just go home after. Also, father spent years on Galway Bay so the scenery would be nothing new.

Thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bazza2311

Point taken.....Sure you will find a suitable trip. You are right in your thinking about it being seasonal as well. May would a good time as it should be less lumpy, sounds like you have a couple of old sea dogs anyway. good hunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

John Brittain runs a great boat out of Cleggan, have been on it a few times and he always puts clients on the fish. Plenty of shelter around the islands if its blowing, so weather usually not an issue. Stay in Clifden or Cleggan, John and his wife also run a B&B a couple of miles from Clifden.

www.seafishingireland.net

Zzippy wrote: »
    John Brittain runs a great boat out of Cleggan, have been on it a few times and he always puts clients on the fish. Plenty of shelter around the islands if its blowing, so weather usually not an issue. Stay in Clifden or Cleggan, John and his wife also run a B&B a couple of miles from Clifden.

Emailed him earlier thanks for the suggestion hopefully he'll get back to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

The bellavista hotel in cobh is set up very well for anglers. The have their own boats which you can hire as a self drive package or hire someone for the day to guide them. They will also have contacts for all the charter boats in cork harbour if they would prefer that. They could also do 2 days, one in each boat.
    Cobh would only be about 70mins drive from tipp. Cork harbour is huge and they would always have somewhere sheltered and comfortable to fish in all but the worst of weather.
    Google "cork harbour angling hub" for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Try http://www.fishandstay.com/
    Based in Carraigaholt.
    Fishing is brilliant down there and Luke is a great guy to go fishing with.

Zzippy wrote: »

Trusting you, i've gone with your recommendation! :D

Advertisement