Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INfected website....Am I infected?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

I am using a HP fairly new laptop running Win 8.1
    My AV used to be norton but that free version ran out so I uninstalled and continue to use Win defender.
    Using google chrome.
    Im using Wifi.

Now I went to a website called www::::::nycrecycle::::::com MY DISCLAIMER:(I dont want to link it as it has a virus I think DO NOT SEARCH unless you know what you are doing unlike me:o) Now in google search this was in the description part.....
    A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt

I thought nothing of it so I pressed as I believed it was one of the city recycling pages.

Anyway as soon as i pressed it, A big red page came up saying this website is infected and you have a virus.....
    I clicked away immediately and done a quick scan with WIN defender but nothing showed.

Computer was working fine however a few minutes later the laptop wouldnt connect to internet. it had gone into flight mode by itself.

So I turned it on and done another scan with WINdef. Everything was ok.
    I turned off Wifi and done another scan but soon after turning off, wifi reconnected itself.
    But again everything was ok and nothing was showing in WinDef.

Onto today everything is fine laptop is working normally but since I dont believe in coincidences Im still worrying a small bit. Im afraid of going onto my email accounts in case Im infected and they can hijack it.

Should I be worried? Or Am I just being paranoid?

making it easier to read and to give thanks in advance

Advertisement