Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Leaving Greyhound For Bins

Options
  • 05-12-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I just did the calcs between Greyhound and City Bin Co in my area (north Dublin). Pricing is really close, there's only about €3 in the difference for the year, so I was going to stay with Greyhound just for the ease of it.

But then I had to go to the Greyhound site, it's crap. Their forgotten PIN doesn't work, so I had to ring them, got straight onto an automated payment thing (annoying). When I got my details, the site is crap and slow. And then I checked their 'special offer' - if I want to pay monthly it's €15.50 = €186 per annum, my annual is €143... I really don't like that they are charging an extra €43 (30%) to existing customers to help them with payments.

So I'm gone.
    Greyhound you lost me not due to pricing, but due to your overall vibe of not caring about your customers in the slightest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

I just did the calcs between Greyhound and City Bin Co in my area (north Dublin). Pricing is really close, there's only about €3 in the difference for the year, so I was going to stay with Greyhound just for the ease of it.

But then I had to go to the Greyhound site, it's crap. Their forgotten PIN doesn't work, so I had to ring them, got straight onto an automated payment thing (annoying). When I got my details, the site is crap and slow. And then I checked their 'special offer' - if I want to pay monthly it's €15.50 = €186 per annum, my annual is €143... I really don't like that they are charging an extra €43 (30%) to existing customers to help them with payments.

So I'm gone.
    Greyhound you lost me not due to pricing, but due to your overall vibe of not caring about your customers in the slightest.

Good luck trying to end your contract with them. It took me 12 weeks of phone calls and emails to get them to cancel my contract and issue my refund. Hopefully you don't have to go through that too. They are the least competent company I have ever dealt with. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Hey FTroydon, were you trying to get out of your contract early or something? Thanks for the heads up, I'll put my mind to this now and make sure they don't mess me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I have to ring them again, as AGAIN they didn't pick up the bins even though our account is on direct debit.
    Not sure if there are other companies in Walkinstown, but I will try to find them.

Interestingly, I received an email from my local councillor on Friday (same day I made my decision to leave them). He was talking up Big Red Dublin Bin Company. I didn't think councillors were allowed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Virtual87 wrote: »
    I have to ring them again, as AGAIN they didn't pick up the bins even though our account is on direct debit.
    Not sure if there are other companies in Walkinstown, but I will try to find them.

I am nearby - I am also with them. 15.50 seemed reasonable at the time for me. But i dont think i need more than 1 pickup per month per bin and so am wondering if i could get it cheaper elsewhere.

If you find something let me know - I looked at Thorntons but it was 50 up front i think at then ~per collection from what i remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 goodbye

Interestingly, I received an email from my local councillor on Friday (same day I made my decision to leave them). He was talking up Big Red Dublin Bin Company. I didn't think councillors were allowed to do that.

Funny I got a similar letter - what area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    I am nearby - I am also with them. 15.50 seemed reasonable at the time for me. But i dont think i need more than 1 pickup per month per bin and so am wondering if i could get it cheaper elsewhere.

If you find something let me know - I looked at Thorntons but it was 50 up front i think at then ~per collection from what i remember.

I'm with Thorntons and find them pretty good, I think that €50 is a government charge and is payable each year, I'm assuming other providers charge this too?

I was tempted to switch over to the city bin company, they charge €12.50 per month but as it stands with thorntons, for both the black and brown bin to be collected it's €13.50 for both but on a pay per lift basis so if you don't produce much waste then it may make more sense to go with them.

Check that 50 quid charge, I'm near sure it was one of those carbon taxes introduced by the Greens and needs to be paid each September (with thorntons anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Yes I got one too from the ex lord mayor :D - surprised though that the red bin company don't collect in my neck of the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dont expect greyhound to pick up bins any time soon. I called and emailed them weekly for about 6 months, before they collected my old bins.

Seems like there is something really smelly going on here, on top of the councillors emailing us to move over to City Bin Co (and yes I'm also in Clontarf @goodbye) - it would appear that City Bin Co sat on a whole pile of customer notices to depart Greyhound... this batch goes back to Nov and wasn't delivered until Xmas Eve..

The result is that a whole pile of departing Greyhound customers got hit with a charge from Greyhound as well as paying for City Bin Co in advance... and it's the fault of City Bin Co?

Smelly as... I'd like to know who put the councillors up to getting involved.
    I'd also like to know who regulates this and what they are planning on doing about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement