Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building ic's

Options
  • 05-12-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I need to know the advantages and disadvantages of using :

1. Pcb Board
    2. Strip Board
    3. bread Board
    4. Peg/Pin Board

As many pro's and con's as possible i am up to my eyes in this assgnment:( if i could just get this task ticked of the list tonight it would be great!

it would be in the context of building just one circuit mass procduction ect. is not relevent. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'll assume this is for some kind of college project? You could prototype it on a bread board or strip board, then make a PCB for your final deliverable.

If it's only intended to be a small prototype, go with bread board or strip board. Setup isn't a big deal, and if you make any mistakes or discover unknown factors, they're easier to correct here. Make an effort to be tidy, especially if your project has a high component count. If your project involves some kind of wireless feature/component, be extra careful when you're prototyping it.

Bread board is particularly suitable for really quick prototyping in a lab. As above, it can get messy if your project has a high component count. Bread board and strip board aren't suitable if you need to fit a circuit into a small space.

PCB's can result in a good looking piece, and can fit many more components into a much smaller space. However, if you've made a mistake designing your board, it can be much harder to rework.

I've never used wire wrap, so I couldn't comment on that. Keep in mind that this post is based on electronics I did in a college course, and it's been a few years since then.

Advertisement