Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor seen tonight?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Just wondering did anyone see the meteor tonight? It was travelling across the western sky. It just caught my eye for the last second. Never seen anything like it before. So big and bright. Seen it at about 9:45. I'm in the east.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

And in a few minutes,you are going to put up all the lovely photos you took of it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Just wondering did anyone see the meteor tonight? It was travelling across the western sky. It just caught my eye for the last second. Never seen anything like it before. So big and bright. Seen it at about 9:45. I'm in the east.

It was seen in Cork.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianORegan

I saw it in Cork at around that time too. Although I did not check the time I thought it was just after 9 p.m.

I saw it travelling from south-west to west and appeared ~30 Deg. above the horizon. It was significantly brighter than Venus, left a thin but noticeable trail in its wake, and lasted for around 5 seconds.

Does this match what you saw?

Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

CianORegan wrote: »
    I saw it in Cork at around that time too. Although I did not check the time I thought it was just after 9 p.m.

I saw it travelling from south-west to west and appeared ~30 Deg. above the horizon. It was significantly brighter than Venus, left a thin but noticeable trail in its wake, and lasted for around 5 seconds.

Does this match what you saw?

Cian

Cian

This one I saw was definitely at between 9:40 to 9:50. 30 deg makes sense. I only caught a glimpse of it. It seemed to glow up briefly (maybe when entering the atmosphere) another way of explaining it, is it was like a very bright moving flash. however i think what I seen was a different one to the one you did. Because this was not travelling towards the south but more westerly. North to west or thereabouts?

Espoo

Cian

This one I saw was definitely at between 9:40 to 9:50. 30 deg makes sense. I only caught a glimpse of it. It seemed to glow up briefly (maybe when entering the atmosphere) another way of explaining it, is it was like a very bright moving flash. however i think what I seen was a different one to the one you did. Because this was not travelling towards the south but more westerly. North to west or thereabouts?

Espoo

Perhaps I got my times wrong. I remember I was setting up my telescope to view Orion at what I thought was after nine oclock. But once again I am unsure. In fact I do think you may be right on the time, but regarding the meteor, I believe we saw the same one.

When I say it appeared in the southwest and moved west it would still appear to be moving from east to west. Two different fireballs with similar characteristics appearing in the same part of the sky? We had to be looking at the same thing!

Where in the country did you observe it from? Cian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Perhaps I got my times wrong. I remember I was setting up my telescope to view Orion at what I thought was after nine oclock. But once again I am unsure. In fact I do think you may be right on the time, but regarding the meteor, I believe we saw the same one.

When I say it appeared in the southwest and moved west it would still appear to be moving from east to west. Two different fireballs with similar characteristics appearing in the same part of the sky? We had to be looking at the same thing!

Where in the country did you observe it from? Cian

Kildare. Yeah probably was the same thing. Travelling from east to west makes sense. Is something like this rear? You that is in to it? Seemed big enough? Off to bed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Yip, I saw it in Dublin, I was driving facing West (dark sky ahead) at the time and it was big, but it disappeared so quick I didn't think twice about it until I read this post. Time was definitely around 21:45 and 30 deg, I was just after sending a text so I can confirm the time (have to check the phone).

Kildare. Yeah probably was the same thing. Travelling from east to west makes sense. Is something like this rear? You that is in to it? Seemed big enough? Off to bed here.

Hundreds if not thiusands of small meteors burn up in the atmospher every day, so this in itself is not rare. However, seeing something as bright as what we saw tonight is pretty rare alright. The last time I saw something as bright as tonight was a couple months back.

Long story short, it's pretty rare. That's why they get so much attention!

All the best!

Yip, I saw it in Dublin, I was driving facing West (dark sky ahead) at the time and it was big, but it disappeared so quick I didn't think twice about it until I read this post. Time was definitely around 21:45 and 30 deg, I was just after sending a text so I can confirm the time (have to check the phone).

Great! Now it's been spotted in Cork, Kildare and Dublin! Did you think it lasted 5-6 seconds overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Great! Now it's been spotted in Cork, Kildare and Dublin! Did you think it lasted 5-6 seconds overall?

I only saw it for the last 1.5 second or so, I wasn't in view to see it for 5 seconds, but judging by the brightness I saw it was definitely around for longer then I saw it. Initially thought it was an aircraft light (same intensity in a way) but the speed was wayyyy faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MostlyLurks

Saw that from Celbrdige. Best one I have ever seen. Not up to that Russian one standards but impressive none the less!
    Myself and the missus where popping out the back for a ciggy but alas she didnt catch it cos all I I could get out of my mouth was, "wow, holy, look" And then it was gone... :)

Advertisement