Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Douglas to Blackpool - Traffic

Options
  • 04-12-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I've just got a new job working in the North Point Business Park on the Mallow Road by Blackpool and I'm thinking of getting a place in Douglas. Would anyone have an idea of how long a commute it would be and is the traffic out of Douglas still mental in the mornings?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

igetjokes wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just got a new job working in the North Point Business Park on the Mallow Road by Blackpool and I'm thinking of getting a place in Douglas. Would anyone have an idea of how long a commute it would be and is the traffic out of Douglas still mental in the mornings?

Thanks

I am in Shamrock Lawn in Douglas and it takes me about 10-15mins to get to M+S Patrick street. Two routes(Ring road then link) or (south douglas road then link). Avoid the schools if your travelling at those hours of the morning(take ring then link route). I don't know about the tunnel if your going that way in the mornings as it is very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I live in the Douglas area and Blackpool is a 20 minute drive even outside of rush hour. What time does work start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 igetjokes

shezer wrote: »
    I am in Shamrock Lawn in Douglas and it takes me about 10-15mins to get to M+S Patrick street.

Thanks shezer, is that 10-15 mins in peak morning traffic like? That doesn't seem too bad, I'm in Dublin at the moment and have about a 45 minute drive in the mornings so anything under that would be great.

kub wrote: »
    I live in the Douglas area and Blackpool is a 20 minute drive even outside of rush hour. What time does work start?

Work is 9 to 6 I'd say (haven't started yet) but I reckon I could start half an hour early and leave half an hour early if it would avoid traffic a bit. Have you ever done the trip in the mornings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I live in Turners cross and had to travel through Blackpool at peak time one morning. I think it took close to 30 minutes to get through the city but there are possibly quicker routes. Tbh though, I'd allow a good 30 minutes at peak times. Douglas has several schools, so traffic along Douglas road, South Douglas road, through turners cross etc is manic between 8 and 9 am. The link is a possibility but it gets really congested from 8.30 onwards. And if you go through town, as you will, the quays are mental no matter what the time. It's taken me 20 minutes in the past to get from grand parade to north mall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi,

Thanks

About 30 minutes should do it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Work is 9 to 6 I'd say (haven't started yet) but I reckon I could start half an hour early and leave half an hour early if it would avoid traffic a bit. Have you ever done the trip in the mornings?

My job involves quite a bit of travelling, I am sure I have travelled over that way, if I were you especially on the first morning give yourself that 45 minutes, just to be safe, then chop 5 mins off gradually and see what time is best to leave. I would hate to give you an exact time.

It also depends on what part of Douglas you are living in, eg will you have to join traffic heading to the schools in the village and how easy is your access to the link etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Hi,

Thanks

If heavy traffic is a concern, would it not make a lot more sense to move closer to work? :confused:

Blarney, Kileens, Rathpeacon etc.. you'd have less choice of housing, but would also be a hell of a lot closer

I can never see the sense of someone choosing to move far away from their place of work when they've a choice not to.

If heavy traffic is a concern, would it not make a lot more sense to move closer to work? :confused:

Blarney, Kileens, Rathpeacon etc.. you'd have less choice of housing, but would also be a hell of a lot closer

I can never see the sense of someone choosing to move far away from their place of work when they've a choice not to.

Well that's the thing, it depends how heavy the traffic actually is. If it's too long of a commute then I will look elsewhere but if it's not too bad then that would be my number one choice as it's a nice area and I would have friends living nearby. I don't know much about Kileens or Rathpeacon, are they nice areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I travel from Douglas every morning, takes around 30-35 minutes

• Advertisement

newbee22 wrote: »
    I travel from Douglas every morning, takes around 30-35 minutes

Oh that doesn't sound too bad is that to Blackpool as well ya? And is that to be in to work for nine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Hi,

Thanks

I drop my kid to school in Douglas every morning from the Ballinlough direction (usually about 8.20-8.30). Traffic is generally fine in Douglas at that time.
    If you a) find a place on the Town/Ballinlough side of Douglas and b) Head for work a little early to avoid the worst of rush hour traffic, then the commute should not be a problem for you for you.
    It's definitely what I would do if I was you. Douglas is a jewel. It's a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lisamoy77

I would say it's the traffic around the quays that would delay you the most when travelling to work. I'm living in Killeens which is only a few minutes drive to North Point. There is nothing here, it's a village with a few housing estates. It's halfway between Blackpool and Blarney. There is a bus service every half hour.

Advertisement