Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any non drinking college students? (making friends)

Options
  • 04-12-2013 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Sup,

19 and in Dublin. I've never been a heavy drinker, but college being college I've been doing a lot more of it. Looking to cut down (strongly considering altogether to save money), but it's all my friends seem to wanna do!

Just wondering if there's anyone like myself out there and how do you cope in the alcohol waterfall that is college :D. Hoping to meet a few like minded individuals out there (if any), for good times and keeping dignity safe!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hiya, I'm a non-drinker and pretty much always have been. I even set up a society in Maynooth for other non-drinkers! :)

Coleege definitely is an "alcohol waterfall" and it can be difficult to handle, it is also something that you can get used to although it won't necessarily be easy with friends trying to convince you to drink and everything involving alcohol. What you really need to do is make sure that you're friends are clear on the fact that you're not drinking. Don't make excuses but be straight about it. Don't insult them either about their drinking habits, just let them know that YOU don't want to drink on that night, or ever if that's what you decide.

You can have great nights sober, I always do. I find that I almost absorb drunken behaviour! I'll get really hyper and will often be more ridiculous than my drunk friends! The biggest thing is not to let drunk people get to you and don't convince yourself that you're not having as good a night as they are. People believe that you can't have a good night without drinking but I've never had that issue! :)

Advertisement