Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get to Carlow IT from Dublin?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

The only way I could really get from Dublin - Carlow is by Bus Eireann as there's a stop just across the road. Is there any other easier/cheaper ways to get to Carlow IT?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

There are two bus services that go to the IT, Bus Eireann and J.J. Kavanagh. Bus Eireann will cost around the same as JJ's (12 or 13 euro day return for a student). They would be the cheapest you can get, as the train from Heuston will cost you around 18 euro day return or 70-odd euro for a weekly ticket and leaves a 20 min walk to the college at that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bus Eireann takes a lot less time as well, as JJ goes through a few towns in Kildare on the way, as opposed to Carlow direct from Red Cow Luas with Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Bus Eireann takes a lot less time as well, as JJ goes through a few towns in Kildare on the way, as opposed to Carlow direct from Red Cow Luas with Bus Eireann.

From Red Cow LUAS to Carlow IT, it says there is a journey time of about 4 hours. Is there a different/quicker route or am I looking at the wrong one?
    http://journeyplanner.buseireann.ie/jp/bin/query.exe/en?ld=std&currentCSS=theme_be&OK#focus
    Do you have any idea of the prices too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

From Red Cow LUAS to Carlow IT, it says there is a journey time of about 4 hours. Is there a different/quicker route or am I looking at the wrong one?
    http://journeyplanner.buseireann.ie/jp/bin/query.exe/en?ld=std&currentCSS=theme_be&OK#focus
    Do you have any idea of the prices too?

No way does it take 4 hours, normally about an hour from Red Cow, hour twenty tops.

The number 4 bus towards Waterford is the one you want, return is about 16/17 quid, 13 for a student. There's one every two hours approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Might be time to invest in a car if you are making that commute for any length of time.

• Advertisement

Might be time to invest in a car if you are making that commute for any length of time.

Cost me around ~20 petrol door to door, so that's 40 up and back. Accommodation is the way to go instead of commuting every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Cost me around ~20 petrol door to door, so that's 40 up and back. Accommodation is the way to go instead of commuting every day.

Depends on the car though.

I can do Carlow to Dublin and back on a tenner(1.2 Clio)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

I do Dublin (west) to ITCarlow 4 days a week (Staff) travel time is 1rh 10 to 1hr20 and I use about 80% of a tank a calendar week (1.4 Golf), filled up yesterday (4th out of 5th driving days) and the refill was around 68yos - so about €17 a day in fuel, not including road tax, insurance or wear and tear on the car.

Advertisement