Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Dirty Needles??

Options
  • 04-12-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

On my lunch break today in Wolf Tone Park I nearly sat on a used needle on the park bench. (This is the third time I've seen dirty needles discarded in public places in as many weeks.) I had no idea what to do. I was going to pick it up and dump it in the bin before I realized that it would stick through the plastic and the poor sod emptying the bin would probably get it in the hand. I felt like a sh*t just leaving it there. What are you meant to do? Does breaking the tip off reduce the chance of someone getting stuck? Is there someone you can call who can dispose of these things properly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think you are supposed to call the local garda station, as its hazardous waste. It could have HIV+ or Hep blood inside of it. Under no circumstances should you move it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Contact Gardaí or Litter Warden, both have facilities to remove (but I'd contact Litter people first)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't pharmacies take them in as well? They should have them yellow plastic containers for hazardous waste, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Guards will just tell you to call DCC,don't risk touching them yourself.

We had the same problem every Monday in our basement entrance in work,DCC came and took them away and gave us a grabber and a sin bin to put any more in that they came and collected periodically when it was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Don't ever try to break the needle, you will most likely cut yourself on it as it breaks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement