Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't give blood :(

Options
  • 04-12-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

So I had thought long and hard and decided I wanted to give blood I answered the questioned, I was eligible, until I spoke to my mam about it and found out I had a blood transfusion when I was born, I was gutted to learn then that I couldn't give blood. Can anyone tell me why if I had a blood transfusion that I can't give blood. And does anyone know if I can still go and talk to someone to see if my blood is clean and I could maybe donate? Any advice and opinions would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've received a blood transfusion, there is no way to give blood (with a few exceptions); talking to someone in the IBTS won't get around that. This is to reduce possible infection risk - pretty much all the exclusions are for this reason. They do test the blood product but still avoid risk to very high levels.

http://www.ibts.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/FAQs/

In your case, if you got the blood transfusion in Ireland prior to 1980 you're OK but otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

I understand you have to be safe and careful with giving blood and I understand the risks, I just thought maybe if they done a test my blood was good I could still do it but I had the transfusion in 1988 so Im out I guess. Thanks for your reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

I think its a european policy due to the relatively high incidence of vCJD (human version of mad cow disease) during the 80's-90's. I believe countries outside of europe dont have this policy.
    You can only diagnose vCJD with a brain biopsy.

Oh wow thats serious, well thank you for the advice. Guess I'll just encourage others if they can to give blood its such a good thing to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I agree, its seems unfair but it is backed by science.

I gave every three months, got awards, etc etc and then they changed the rules. New rule about living in the UK since 1980, I was now ineligible.

A real bummer indeed. :(

• Advertisement

I agree, its seems unfair but it is backed by science.

I gave every three months, got awards, etc etc and then they changed the rules. New rule about living in the UK since 1980, I was now ineligible.

A real bummer indeed. :(

Ah yeah I know the safety reasons are so important, it just sucks that people who want to give blood cant, my two neighbours cant either like you said from living in England for a certain period of time. At least you got to contribute for a period of time fair play to you. Im jealous lol. :)

Advertisement