Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge Before Canada?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

like many people around here, work experience has been dry before heading over to Canada. I expect to depart late February.

Is it worth trying to secure a decent JobBridge position before coming over? While 90% of them may be exploitative, there are a few global, respectable companies offering internships. Would the skills and experience be of value in Canadian eyes? Or would it be just the same if I didn't do it? I'm eager to do anything I can now to make myself more employable when I get over, but, I don't want to make mistakes/be exploited here either.

On the backdrop, I'm a recent graduate (international business & languages) and I write as an editor for news website (skills, a passion and hopefully experience).

Any ideas? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Hi folks,

like many people around here, work experience has been dry before heading over to Canada. I expect to depart late February.

Is it worth trying to secure a decent JobBridge position before coming over? While 90% of them may be exploitative, there are a few global, respectable companies offering internships. Would the skills and experience be of value in Canadian eyes? Or would it be just the same if I didn't do it? I'm eager to do anything I can now to make myself more employable when I get over, but, I don't want to make mistakes/be exploited here either.

On the backdrop, I'm a recent graduate (international business & languages) and I write as an editor for news website (skills, a passion and hopefully experience).

I'm same position I think actual work would be far better then an internship currently .then again can't hurt . But have you factored in the point of it costs to work so the extra money you will spend too even doing an internships ya won't believe travel lunches clothes even . Would the experience be good probably but actual work regardless of what would be of more a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

If you get an internship in your field on job bridge it would be crazy to turn it down. people seem to forget in many professions unpaid internships are the only way to start your career.

danotroy wrote: »
    If you get an internship in your field on job bridge it would be crazy to turn it down. people seem to forget in many professions unpaid internships are the only way to start your career.

all well and good if your gonna stay here in the country but not totally if your looking to go away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well I've made up my mind now. I just wanted to figure it out once and for all. As I mentioned, I'm doing something at the moment (which I really enjoy to be honest) and I am learning fresh skills. Perhaps I'm pushing myself too far taking on a second internship right before emigrating. Also, I agree, even casual work might make a bigger impact than this type of internship. This has been bugging me for a while, glad to get some resolution.

Well I've made up my mind now. I just wanted to figure it out once and for all. As I mentioned, I'm doing something at the moment (which I really enjoy to be honest) and I am learning fresh skills. Perhaps I'm pushing myself too far taking on a second internship right before emigrating. Also, I agree, even casual work might make a bigger impact than this type of internship. This has been bugging me for a while, glad to get some resolution.

yeah sometimes just gotta step back from it!

• Advertisement

all well and good if your gonna stay here in the country but not totally if your looking to go away!

Ok. So your saying a graduate in let's say IT would be better off getting a job in McDonald's rather than job bridge in an IT role before they head to a foreign country to seek a graduate role in IT?

danotroy wrote: »
    Ok. So your saying a graduate in let's say IT would be better off getting a job in McDonald's rather than job bridge in an IT role before they head to a foreign country to seek a graduate role in IT?

nope im saying actually working in anything is a bigger gain then currently as the position it puts you in to leave rather then the experience it gets you
    And funny to talk about it an area in which i work yeah ive been on to recruiters , the real issue you is getting a start and getting in for Canadian experience with such little actual working experience .
    but even with an internship your not gonna just walk into a graduate position .i know guys have gone over with 7-8 years experience and its taken a couple of month to get a job sorted the hiring system is way longer then here. so how do you fund yourself cause canda isnt cheap and if you think it is your in for a shock.

nope im saying actually working in anything is a bigger gain then currently as the position it puts you in to leave rather then the experience it gets you
    And funny to talk about it an area in which i work yeah ive been on to recruiters , the real issue you is getting a start and getting in for Canadian experience with such little actual working experience .
    but even with an internship your not gonna just walk into a graduate position .i know guys have gone over with 7-8 years experience and its taken a couple of month to get a job sorted the hiring system is way longer then here. so how do you fund yourself cause canda isnt cheap and if you think it is your in for a shock.

I'm in the opinion that if the op got offered a job bridge role in their field it would better equip them for employment in Canada rather than saving all their hard earned McDonald's money and heading off to a new country cash rich but with no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dcoyle277

Hi folks,

9 months ago i decided to go to canada in early 2014 back then i was working one day a week (dropped from full weeks) was getting part time dole and going nuts from boredom a internship came up in my field (graphic design) so i went for it and now i have my 9 months nearly done also i started working for experience with a fella doing filmography so i have a good start in terms of experience even though with my own situation doing the internship ment getting less money weekly than i was on but i made it work. I have a friend who started out in vancouver three years ago then moved to toronto after 6 months because he couldn't get work after over a year he finally got a job in graphic design, for him the reason it took so long was lack of experience even thou he had 2 degrees in the field they wanted experience over degrees. now i know this isn't relevant to everyone but its just to give an example of someone who went out with no experience. I know when i get over i wont get a job in my field in the first 4 or 5 months maybe but i will find any job that pays to keep me going till i do

The position that triggered it wasn't really the direction that I wanted to go. It was in an office environment though. I couldn't find any way of commuting in less than an hour and a half, that's 3 hours per day and they wanted 40 hours out of me. I just thought, if the big aim is to capture experience that will make me more employable in Canada, then I better be sure that it would be beneficial.

Maybe the best value would only come from something directly in our line of work?

As I say, I am doing another internship atm, I certainly have put good skills on my CV, it's online work so the cost is 0, but I have hard facts of tangiable benefits that I've brought the company. Admittedly word from recruiters here was that they were all very impressed. I just want to have as much behind me before going over.

• Advertisement

dcoyle277 wrote: »
    9 months ago i decided to go to canada in early 2014 back then i was working one day a week (dropped from full weeks) was getting part time dole and going nuts from boredom a internship came up in my field (graphic design) so i went for it and now i have my 9 months nearly done also i started working for experience with a fella doing filmography so i have a good start in terms of experience even though with my own situation doing the internship ment getting less money weekly than i was on but i made it work. I have a friend who started out in vancouver three years ago then moved to toronto after 6 months because he couldn't get work after over a year he finally got a job in graphic design, for him the reason it took so long was lack of experience even thou he had 2 degrees in the field they wanted experience over degrees. now i know this isn't relevant to everyone but its just to give an example of someone who went out with no experience. I know when i get over i wont get a job in my field in the first 4 or 5 months maybe but i will find any job that pays to keep me going till i do

Hi mate. Would you say the key is that if you take a JobBridge, only take one in your field?

The other thing is, I'm ready to get a 'joe-job' when I get over there to stem the flow of funds, then look for career work. That seems to be the way it's done I'm told. I do have years of retail work for that. If that gets me a quick retail job over there, I could have wasted three months trecking here for nothing, no? If the Canadians want 'Canadian experience' more that anything, a retail/bar/etc. job would do it.

I'm just trying to balance pros and cons and to make sure that if I undertake something with that much time, effort investment that the benefits are tangiable.

The position that triggered it wasn't really the direction that I wanted to go. It wasn't a million miles away plus in an office environment. I couldn't find any way of commuting in less than an hour and a half, that's 3 hours per day and they wanted 40 hours out of me. I just thought, if the big aim is to capture experience that will make me more employable in Canada, then I better be sure that it would be beneficial.

Maybe the best value would only come from something directly in our line of work?

As I say, I am doing another internship atm, I certainly have put good skills on my CV, it's online work so the cost is 0, but I have hard facts of tangiable benefits that I've brought the company. Admittedly word from recruiters here was that they were all very impressed. I just to have as much behind me before going over.

i think in your case the cons out weigh the pros for that internship, i was lucky in the one i got as it was only 10 min away and the people are really good to work for and the experience is great I've done some big brand stuff that i expect to be doing . . . I am the same I am doing anything i can get my hands on just to cram the experience in before heading over

Hi mate. Would you say the key is that if you take a JobBridge, only take one in your field?

The other thing is, I'm ready to get a 'joe-job' when I get over there to stem the flow of funds, then look for career work. That seems to be the way it's done I'm told. I do have years of retail work for that. If that gets me a quick retail job over there, I could have wasted three months trecking here for nothing, no? If the Canadians want 'Canadian experience' more that anything, a retail/bar/etc. job would do it.

I'm just trying to balance pros and cons and to make sure that if I undertake something with that much time, effort investment that the benefits are tangiable.

i would only take one in my field ya. i dont see the benefits of taking one in a field that you dont want to do. i have worked in retail for the last 10 years so that is my best chance wen i get to canada like i know i possible wont get a graphic design job for months so wen i get there i wont start looking for a career job till i know i am working and able to sustain my self over there

I'm just trying to balance pros and cons and to make sure that if I undertake something with that much time, effort investment that thebenefits are tangiable.

From what I can see and I've been told Canadian experience is a big deal .I'll be the same looking for an average job to keep things going .then getting entry level position to get a foot in the door with a recruiter and from there on . Have you tried th groups like Irish in Toronto and ask people in the same position. I've hot lots good advice

Yeah those Facebook groups are very handy. I really haven't come across many with a similar degree or interested in similar occupations. The general advice is get any job to buffer funds and then aim for career job. You do read more than the odd few that get lucky with job-hunting though. I've almost finished saving 5-6 months money so I definitely won't be resting on just luck! I have made a couple of contacts over there already, plenty of people ready to connect and help each other. If anyone is heading to Vancouver, give us a shout! :rolleyes:

Yeah those Facebook groups are very handy. I really haven't come across many with a similar degree or interested in similar occupations. The general advice is get any job to buffer funds and then aim for career job. You do read more than the odd few that get lucky with job-hunting though. I've almost finished saving 5-6 months money so I definitely won't be resting on just luck! I have made a couple of contacts over there already, plenty of people ready to connect and help each other. If anyone is heading to Vancouver, give us a shout! :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123680717695499/ got some great advice here actaully im sure theres an vancouver one similar somewhere be worth asking there to even if vans the choice your thinking . ive friends in ny too thats why torontos more attractive to me i can visit easy

Thanks for that pal. Yep I recently left that group as I'm pretty focused on the west coast now. I've friends on the west coast of the US, LA and Washington state so pretty much the same, just the other side of the country. But yes you can get good advice. What line of work are you at yourself?

Thanks for that pal. Yep I recently left that group as I'm pretty focused on the west coast now. I've friends on the west coast of the US, LA and Washington state so pretty much the same, just the other side of the country. But yes you can get good advice. What line of work are you at yourself?

it and engineering so goes hand in hand theres lots work advertised and well got good answer back from the recruiters over there so looks good. only thing puts me off van is its a little more expensive and ive more savings then allot a people but with toronto being a major hub theres more options for me .

I'll hopefully be heading to van towards march maybe the girlfriend has to be over by then with her visa.

Advertisement