Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPi Network Connection working fine but internet not working

Options
  • 04-12-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a RPi (Raspbian OS) and I've it connected to the network via wireless and every was working fine but now for some reason. The internet isnt working.

I can connect fine to the device via VNC and all the settings are right but the web browsers (Midori & IceWeasel) give me the problem loading page - server not found error :confused:

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can you connect to a server by IP address? e.g. google is http://74.125.24.103/
    If so its a DNS issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yea, its a DNS issue. How do I resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Check your nameserver setting in /etc/resolv.conf . For a quick check edit that file and make it look like this:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Save it and try a website.

EDIT: I just realised you might be using NetworkManager to config your network. If so, edit you network interface and change:
    DNS server to 8.8.8.8
    Search domains: 127.0.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

My Eircom router is using OpenDNS DNS servers but I thought these would automatically be used by outbound traffic?

I used this tutorial to implement a static ip address on the wireless connection

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/tutorial-how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address

Should I add
    nameserver  208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

to /etc/network/interfaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

No, add them to /etc/resolv.conf (as azzeretti said).

If you've set your dns servers on your router, then your router propagates those to the network using a protocol called dhcp. However setting a static IP address stops your pi from looking for an address with dhcp, so it never gets the dns server. So you need to manually set the dns servers also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement