Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion of today's post in the football tips thread

• 04-12-2013 6:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭

MOD:

Ok......

Things are getting a little out of hand in this thread lately.
    Random chat seems to be gone now but it took me no less than 3 big fat messages to get to point across while to me the thread title seems obvious:

The football tips thread

Not the football discussion thread, not the discuss each other's tips till you see blue in the face thread.

A bit of, related, chat or discussion on tips doesnt hurt. Some times it can be very useful. It can be very helpful if i take on an any time goal scorer in France and Lass points out he is suspended (my pick, not Lass himself). Will not help me so much but it can prevent others from going for it.

Same goes for pointing out you have seen the same bet as someone has posted but for much better odds. Post it. Just remember exchanges take commission so better looking odds might be just that, better looking.

Also not very useful are the tips: took team x,y and z to win @26, FREE Money.
    If it would be up to me, those posts get deleted instantly.

This is a thread for tips with at least some reasoning included in your post. If you know half a team is out with food poisoning > great tip. Really, post it here and your contribution will be very much appreciated

The bet slips without any reasoning at all can be posted in The Daily bets and Banter thread

And for the new comers, please read the charter (link in my sig).

Hope this clears things up a bit and we can go back to a nice and tidy tips thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

To continue from my last post...

Ye I think a treble can be fine, 3 selections is about he limit before it gets too much imo. I dunno others may disagree, but over the past couple of months, I think the tips are being heavily outweighed by posts like

Tonight i'm going for

a
    b
    c
    d

20 euro on

There seems to be a few people making an effort with the daily thread, more traffic i nthat thread would help for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

Looking at the two threads (Daily / Football Tips V), there doesn't seem to be much difference between them at the moment. Is the aim to keep Football Tips as a thread with more detailed analysis on bets? Won't that mean the Daily thread will be a 2nd rate thread while the Football Tips is the first class? Would that really work?

Or have I got it wrong?

I personally just disregard posts such as

"This weekend's free money bet:
    Man C
    Man U
    Chelsea
    Bayern Munich
    Real Madrid"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That would be the idea indeed.

Have lots to tell about your pick(s) > tips thread

Just copy/paste you bet slip > Daily.

Might rule it as 2nd rate but it can have its value too when you have missed a certain team or player is having a match that day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For me, tips should be "Here's a bet I've researched and here's why I think others should follow it". The Daily Banter should be "Here's a bet I am doing for fun".

Accumulators posted in the tips thread, by and large, are useless; people post these 1000/1 bets with no reason given whatsoever. That's not a tip in any way, shape or form. It's a flight of fancy. It's grand to do if you want to, and I do them every now and again myself, but it's not a bet you should encourage others to take, so shouldn't be in the tip thread.

There are some posters in the Tips thread who genuinely are trying to give tips which will help people make money, even if they are biased or misinformed. And there are others who use it as their log for the night. And the latter do nothing but clutter things up and make it harder to discern what the real tips are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

For me, tips should be "Here's a bet I've researched and here's why I think others should follow it". The Daily Banter should be "Here's a bet I am doing for fun".

Accumulators posted in the tips thread, by and large, are useless; people post these 1000/1 bets with no reason given whatsoever. That's not a tip in any way, shape or form. It's a flight of fancy. It's grand to do if you want to, and I do them every now and again myself, but it's not a bet you should encourage others to take, so shouldn't be in the tip thread.

There are some posters in the Tips thread who genuinely are trying to give tips which will help people make money, even if they are biased or misinformed. And there are others who use it as their log for the night. And the latter do nothing but clutter things up and make it harder to discern what the real tips are.

I ll be moving those for a while to the Daily bets and banter.
    Until i get fed up with moving and then i will just delete them.