Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS Coded Welding in Tralee and Shannon

Options
  • 04-12-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, hope I have this in the appropriate forum but... Does anyone have any knowledge of the above mentioned coded pipe welding courses? I'm thinking of applying but would have to move to do the course so want to know if it's worth it. I'm not neccessarily looking for someone who's done the course but maybe you work with someone who has? Just looking for feedback on the quality of the course. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

is this a fulltime or partime course ?

and what are the minimum entry requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Full-time courses, need at least to have completed an intermediate welding course or have relevant work experience.

Link to FAS site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I did the overhead butt on the 7018. Would love to do the pipe. But full time does not suit. After 5 years welding for a contractor I sacked it.

Its hard to get a good job in Ireland as a welder these day. People on the tills on supermarkets are on a better rate.

If you do it. Be prepared to emigrate. I got lots of offers to go to Canada from recruitment places where they are crying out for pipe welders and pay a very hansom rate to those who brave the trip.

DIT in Dublins Bolten St do the same codes by the way and offer part time as well. But there is no point even thinking about it unless you can weld already. You will have to weld pipe with stick and tig in all positions to x ray perfection. Not that easy.

Doh. Just noticed the date on the OPs post..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

brokenarms wrote: »
    I did the overhead butt on the 7018. Would love to do the pipe. But full time does not suit. After 5 years welding for a contractor I sacked it.

Its hard to get a good job in Ireland as a welder these day. People on the tills on supermarkets are on a better rate.

If you do it. Be prepared to emigrate. I got lots of offers to go to Canada from recruitment places where they are crying out for pipe welders and pay a very hansom rate to those who brave the trip.

DIT in Dublins Bolten St do the same codes by the way and offer part time as well. But there is no point even thinking about it unless you can weld already. You will have to weld pipe with stick and tig in all positions to x ray perfection. Not that easy.

Doh. Just noticed the date on the OPs post..

I know the post is old but it's still relevant, neither course has started yet, I was planning well ahead. I'm moving to Oz the end of the year so emigration isn't an issue, I just want to go there with a decent qualification behind me and not start at the bottom of the career ladder. DIT I think would be out of the question, I don't think I could afford to live in Dublin and I'm on the dole so looking for FAS training. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Expect a long wait to get in to any of them.

I paid for my Fas course as I was working and it got me bumped to the front of the cue. But the lads on the course who where on the dole where waiting a year to get on it. This for for the plate, not pipe.

Get you name in as soon as you can. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

sorry for bumping this up but have been called for a coded pipe course have worked in a workshop for 3 years have a bit of experience in arc and mig not a lot tho.just wondering how hard it is.will I be able to bull**** my way through it.whats involved in the weld test.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

timmiekp wrote: »
    sorry for bumping this up but have been called for a coded pipe course have worked in a workshop for 3 years have a bit of experience in arc and mig not a lot tho.just wondering how hard it is.will I be able to bull**** my way through it.whats involved in the weld test.any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I done it several years ago now but the entry test i did was a 10mm plate, welded vertical up, root, 2x fill, and a cap all done with a soft rod and the runs were staggered so you could see each individual run.
    I don't know how long the waiting list is nowadays but on the day i tested there was well over 100 lads going for 12 places so you need to make a good job of it.

The course it hard going but doable with the right attitude, there's a lot to learn in a short space of time, where are you doing the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

i applied for it there a month ago I was going doing it in carlow

Advertisement