Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to suckler

Options
  • 04-12-2013 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my first post looks like a good chat form for farmers.
    Basically I grew up on a small suckler farm in the midlands (around 45 cows) always worked on it and on naigbours dary farms. I would consider myself very good with stock. I never had much interest in the dairy end of things, just seem to love the sucklers (or naby hardship). I moved to Austraila around 5 years ago for job reasons and done fairly well for myself. Our farm has been rented since I left booth as its to much work for dad by himself and the last year we had sucklers was one of those years to forget.

Anyway I was home for a few weeks a month back and said to dad I would be comeing home next year for good and dropped the hint that I'd love to get back into the sucklers agen whitch I could see he was jumping with joy inside. We usually go with 3/4 breed simmentals as cows, big well formed, squair beefy cattel all u grade if possible. We will probably start with around 30 heffers from 400 to 450 kg autom calvers.

I have a few questions,
    I know it's a year away but would $1100 for really quality heffers of this size be a good price to have in mind?

Also I am out of the loop you mit say as to what is going on at home at the moment. I herd that the suckler cow quota may be returning is this true?

Any other things that may have changed in the last few years that may be good to know?
    Sorry about the long post lads and lasses hope to hear from ye and put my two cents in here and there. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Sorry guys, I was also wondering do any of you guys know a good Simmental sale in your area that is on every year. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Sorry guys, I was also wondering do any of you guys know a good Simmental sale in your area that is on every year. Thanks

There is a special Simmental sale in Ballymote, Co Sligo every autumn and it attracts buyers from everywhere with prices to match.

There was around 200 females from weanling heifers to in calf heifers this year with prices for maiden heifers averaging €1300 and some in calf's going over €3000.

€1100 might get you some heifers but probably not at the special sales. Check out http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/sales/commercial-sales/ for the sales listings.

TBH I cant see the value in spending huge money on maiden heifers at these sales though.

towzer2010 wrote: »
    There is a special Simmental sale in Ballymote, Co Sligo every autumn and it attracts buyers from everywhere with prices to match.

There was around 200 females from weanling heifers to in calf heifers this year with prices for maiden heifers averaging €1300 and some in calf's going over €3000.

€1100 might get you some heifers but probably not at the special sales. Check out http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/sales/commercial-sales/ for the sales listings.

TBH I cant see the value in spending huge money on maiden heifers at these sales though.

Thanks for that. Yes I agree with you on the big sale prices. I think I would rather try get a farmer on the journal selling and get them all of one man if possible or two. If even for quietness and a better chance of a more helty herd. Thanks agen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Keep an eye on www.donedeal.ie too. Are you sure you want to go down the Simmental route? They'd eat you out of house and home:pac: in my experience the only good thing about them is by having one Simmental in every pen there is never any waste, because the sim cleans up all the crap that other cattle won't eat.

Sexed semen is something that has a lot of potential here now, maybe a few pedigree Herefords or whatever (easy calving) breeds dairy farmers are likely to use for bulls running with the dairy herd in future might be the way to go?

Hope you enjoy the summer down under, and welcome to boards.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

On thing to consider is maybe buying sucklers of different ages. maybe mature cows with calves at foot, 2 or 3 year olds in calf and weanlings. The weanlings will be bought cheaper but will add value as they grow. It will ease yourself into things more slowly until you find your feet. There's a bit of learing in handling sucklers, but you seem to know what you are at.
    Get animals that are big and square at teh hips and use easy calving bulls. Its half the battle.
    Best of luck by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pat cully

best wishes with the suckling. I do agree with previous thread dont go in too deep for a year or two.Suckling can be hard work with little reward for your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Simmental heifers are an expensive commodity at the moment and i reckon they will only get dearer over the next year or so. incalf cows or ones with calves at foot would be your best starting point. scour the sales and hang around when theres no else there and you should be able to pick up those for a little more than the price of a bulling heifer. your back in action straight away. otherwise your waiting 2 years before you have money back in. The bonus you will make on the sim heifer however will be deducted by the hit you will take on the sim bull.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on www.donedeal.ie too. Are you sure you want to go down the Simmental route? They'd eat you out of house and home:pac: in my experience the only good thing about them is by having one Simmental in every pen there is never any waste, because the sim cleans up all the crap that other cattle won't eat.

Sexed semen is something that has a lot of potential here now, maybe a few pedigree Herefords or whatever (easy calving) breeds dairy farmers are likely to use for bulls running with the dairy herd in future might be the way to go?

Hope you enjoy the summer down under, and welcome to boards.

Ha ya I would agree with you that they are hungry alright. I was reading up allot on the sexed semen and it seems to be a very interesting idea. I think it may take a few years to get right but an interesting idea. Thank you.

On thing to consider is maybe buying sucklers of different ages. maybe mature cows with calves at foot, 2 or 3 year olds in calf and weanlings. The weanlings will be bought cheaper but will add value as they grow. It will ease yourself into things more slowly until you find your feet. There's a bit of learing in handling sucklers, but you seem to know what you are at.
    Get animals that are big and square at teh hips and use easy calving bulls. Its half the battle.
    Best of luck by the way.

Sum thing I never thought of was buying diffrent age animals. It mite also be a big help in years to cum as they won't all have to be culled in the same few years! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

HI There Mad4,

I wondering did you get to buy any Simmental heifirs after and what kind of money had you to pay? I'm looking for a few myself but it's is hard to get good quality. Plus you don't know anything about heifirs you see in the mart. Even though the general trade isn't great any decent heifirs are making enough. For me a good sim cow is way ahead of the rest. Cross back to a charlois bull and you have plenty of options and buyers for both bull and heifir calves.

Neo

• Advertisement

HI There Mad4,

I wondering did you get to buy any Simmental heifirs after and what kind of money had you to pay? I'm looking for a few myself but it's is hard to get good quality. Plus you don't know anything about heifirs you see in the mart. Even though the general trade isn't great any decent heifirs are making enough. For me a good sim cow is way ahead of the rest. Cross back to a charlois bull and you have plenty of options and buyers for both bull and heifir calves.

Neo

Hi Neo,
    It took about 4 months to get 20. All bought off farms and only about 5 of them advertised. Still looking for another 10 or so but taking our time, in no rush. Bit of traveling but if they are going to be our cow herd for years only perfect will do(everybody has a diffrent perfect to)

We got heifers a bit stronger than most people like but IMO I think that stands to them in the long run. To be honist we payed very good money but as the same goes you get what you pay for.

They are hard to find but persistence payed off. If you don't mind waighting a bit longer there are a few crackers in the wenling sales around.

Best of luck hunting

Mad4,
    Do you mind me asking what kind of money did you pay for what weight? I see some on the simmental site @ http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/flying-trade-for-simmental-x-breeding-heifers-at-carnaross-mart/ . I think these are the same heifirs that are pictured on done deal @ http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/rockbellew-herd/6633212

These look fair heifirs maybe a little plain, is that the type of money you'd need to spend to get that sort of heifir?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

just wondering do any of ye use SI ai sires ?

Mad4,
    Do you mind me asking what kind of money did you pay for what weight? I see some on the simmental site @ http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/flying-trade-for-simmental-x-breeding-heifers-at-carnaross-mart/ . I think these are the same heifirs that are pictured on done deal @ http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/rockbellew-herd/6633212

These look fair heifirs maybe a little plain, is that the type of money you'd need to spend to get that sort of heifir?

That's pritty much bang on the money off farm to. Have to be very good to make that with good breeding to. IMO no need to go past 550kg just mad money. I saw that add and couldn't make the sale, I was wondering what sort of money they would make.

just wondering do any of ye use SI ai sires ?

Never did before but might try a few sexed to have a few more coming allong next year.

Mad4, sound thanks for the info.. I was hoping I'd get them a bit less, but it sounds like you've been shopping and know the story..

Mad4, I meant to ask you if you bought the heifirs off farm and the weren't advertisied, how did you her about them? Word of mouth? I'm in north Kilkenny, Carlow side and it's all Ch and Limo with a few BB near me.... i don't think I know anyone with a SIM bull. Had any of the lads you dealt with younger heifirs that you didn't purchase? Could you pass on the details of any lad you dealt with where you got best value? ( you can send a privte message if you like).... No hassle if you don't want to divulge your golden goose so to speak..!!

Advertisement