Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning lathe chisel set

Options
  • 04-12-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place as it is my first posting. I am looking for recommendation for a set of woodturning chisels for a Christmas present. He has some chisels already but would like a complete set. A good brand preferably as he has some cheaper ones. Are there certain types of chisels that I should look for in a set? A rough idea of cost? I dont even know if I am asking the correct type questions!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Robert Sorby, Crown and Henry Taylor are all quality tools - I'd mail order them from Axminster or Rutlands etc.
    Might I suggest that woodturners can be finicky about tools - you might be better off buying ,say three quality tools than ten cheap ones. Avoid Chinese/Far east tools ( the steel is not good ) and be prepared to spend up to 300 euro for a good set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

I am not a woodturner but I have every other type of woodworking tool so I would be inclined to suggest that it may not be a good idea to "surprise" him, I know that when it comes to tools I have to pick out what I want. Initially my wife would grumble that she could never surprise me with a surprise tool purchase for birthdays, Christmas etc but now she knows how particular I am and that there's a lot of stuff out there that just wouldn't interest me, so it's better if I drop a (not subtle!) hint or else she just pays for the order. Not very romantic I suppose but she's happy that she's bought wisely and I'm happy that I get to pick out what I actually want or need. Half the fun for me is browsing the sites and doing the research before I commit to a selection. From what I've seen of turning tools it is really important to invest in good quality basic shapes by a good maker, just as recipio has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with the posters above. Woodturning tools, and tools in general, are a very personal thing, and it would be very difficult to give any guidance as to what to buy without knowing what he has already, plus knowing what kind of turning he's mainly into. You'd be talking different tools depending on whether it's spindle turning, bowl turning, or miniature stuff like lidded boxes or pens.

I'd look over a few websites with him and ask him to make some not-so-subtle hints as to what he likes and either order online or visit one of the bricks-and-mortar shops. RJ Goughs on Mary Street in Dublin is a Robert Sorby dealer for example, and usually have a pretty decent stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 djdce

Hi

Thanks for advice. Am taking it on board. Will let him do some research and I can pay the bill!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Glenn Lucas's signature set of tools is €130. You can find them and his other tools here. http://glennlucaswoodturning.com I have two of his bowl gouges and find the handles much more comfortable and heavier than the slim handles on Sorby chisels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement