Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire 500

Options
  • 04-12-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Hey guys thinking of getting this phone. I am due an upgrade on my currrent phone a Desire X. Do people think it is a better phone overall. I have done a bit of reading and not sure how to weigh it all up.

The Desire 500 has a rating of 8 out of ten vs an 8.8 for the Desire X.
    Not sure what the factor were in the rating. Was it the price. Did it not deliver on some of it's promise. I read that people do not like BlinkFeed one of the OS's on the phone. I believe the latest version of android allows you to block blink feed if you don't like it.

What I can see the 500 is a slighter bigger phone with a larger screen. It has a better camera 8MP vs 5MP. It has the addition of a front facing camera. Would not actually take to many photos with my phone but like my pictures to look well when I take them. Camcorder upgraded to 720p HD sounds good. It has a lower pixelation density on the screen any ideas how noticeable this would be. The 500 does how lack a scratch resistant screen.

A lot of the camera features from the Desire X appear to be gone. Quad Core 1200 vs Dual Core 1000. What Apps will this be benefical for. Any apps that would be likely to run better on the dual core.
    The 500 has better 3G talk time at 12.1 hrs vs 6.00 hrs. Somehow the standby time is about half that of the Desire X.

No mention of FM radio for the 500 on phonearena.com comparision. Less radio bands supported on the 500 re: roaming. Microsim on the 500, not sure how this affect the functionality of the phone, if at all just listing it.

Seperate from the phone question. How do I unsynch my dropbox and emails on my old phone before selling it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its only a slight upgrade to be honest.
    See the comparison here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4951&idPhone2=5623

The Desire X is slightly lighter (114g vs 123g), but its 4" compared to 4.3", which is barely noticeable, I'd guess.
    The X has 786mb RAM, compared to 1GB on the 500.
    The X has no USB OTG with a stock ROM.
    The X has a 5mp camera, vs 8mp on the 500.
    The X can only record 480p video, compared to 720p on the 500.
    The X has no front camera.
    The X has a dual core 1Ghz CPU, the 500 has a quad core 1.2Ghz CPU.

My sister has the 500 and loves it. Its not a bad phone by any means, but its not really that big an upgrade from the Desire X.

You'd prob get more benefit from sticking on a faster custom ROM on the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Its only a slight upgrade to be honest.
    See the comparison here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4951&idPhone2=5623

The Desire X is slightly lighter (114g vs 123g), but its 4" compared to 4.3", which is barely noticeable, I'd guess.
    The X has 786mb RAM, compared to 1GB on the 500.
    The X has no USB OTG with a stock ROM.
    The X has a 5mp camera, vs 8mp on the 500.
    The X can only record 480p video, compared to 720p on the 500.
    The X has no front camera.
    The X has a dual core 1Ghz CPU, the 500 has a quad core 1.2Ghz CPU.

My sister has the 500 and loves it. Its not a bad phone by any means, but its not really that big an upgrade from the Desire X.

You'd prob get more benefit from sticking on a faster custom ROM on the X.

Upgrade would be free. Added Rom would cost money. Was going to say the money I made on the x could increase the ram on the 500, then I realised you said ROM. Is it too soon swap out the ROM on a 500. I believe it new enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The ROM is actually free. A ROM is just the OS, or the whole software on the phone. Installing a ROM is the same as upgrading the software on the phone manually. There's no hardware changes. Like you don't have to open the phone up or anything.

If the upgrade is free (is it free or are u getting tied to a new 18 month contract?) then go ahead and get it. The 500 is fine and wouldn't even need updated software (ROM).Like you said, its new enough. Although, you could still put a new custom one on, and see if it offers much speed increases. They're usually tweaked with performance in mind so you pretty much always get at least some performance improvement, as well as a few extra features.

PS, I don't know anyone that upgrades the RAM on their phones. I think thats still the domain of PCs and laptops for now.

Advertisement