Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Asus RT-N66U wifi router divides my internet speeds by four!

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Good evening,

I have a 100 Mbps connection at home and I get exactly that speed on my ISP's Speedtester when I connect directly to my ISP's modem.

However, when I connect via my Asus RT-N66U router (my ISP's modem is not wireless) speed drops to 40 Mbps and when I connect via wifi, it drops even further to 25 Mbps!

Logic dictates that the issue is with my Asus RT-N66U wireless router which annoys me as I picked this expensive router to ensure I wouldn't lose too much download speed once connected.

Does anybody have experience setting up the Asus RT-N66U wifi router? Can I improve the speed or did I just buy an expensive piece of cr@p?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Explain further how you have them connected. Did you turn your existing modem into a bridge or are you NATing twice? If your provider is using PPPoE you should turn the existing modem into a bridge and add the PPPoE settings on the Asus so your public IP resolves there, then the Asus would be your one and only router and you'd have a single hop to the internet and one translation. Is your modem a four port modem/router?

My own opinion of this Asus is that they are completely overpriced, about 5 times more expensive than they should be but it should be performing better than this if configured correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi smee again,

I didn't know the answer to your question so I accessed the router to find out. I am currently connected via "Wireless router mode (Default)" the description of this method is:
    In wireless router/ IP sharing mode, RT-N66U connects to the Internet via PPPoE, DHCP, PPTP, L2TP, or Static IP and shares the wireless network to LAN clients or devices. In this mode, NAT, firewall, and DHCP server are enabled by default. UPnP and Dynamic DNS are supported for SOHO and home users. Select this mode if you are a first-time user or you are not currently using any wired/wireless routers.

There is also a "Access Point (AP) mode" the description of this method is:
    In Access Point (AP) mode, RT-N66U connects to a wireless router through an Ethernet cable to extend the wireless signal coverage to other network clients. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled by default.
    In Access Point (AP) mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility in order to detect the wireless router's IP address.

Should I be using the "Access Point (AP) mode"?

Regarding the modem, yes, it is a four port modem/router?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like your modem isnt just a modem, but a router/modem combo. If you're keeping that then yes you need to use AP mode. That should get you maximum throughput.

Right now you're double NATing, essentially running one lan inside another, increasing overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

If you are feeling a little adventurous try Merlin's custom ASUS firmware, it adds a lot of fixes plus the forum is very helpful

Link to forum http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Link to more info http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

Link to downloads https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68//Asuswrt-Merlin#2324w3jh7e4q4

I'm running this firmware with a different model and find it very stable

Advertisement