Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Server Backup

Options
  • 03-12-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have 3 windows servers and a NAS drive at my office. There is no backup done for the servers now.

I would like a full initial backup at the start of each month and then a differential backup each day on rest of the days in the month. I would like to get the existing full backup deleted at the start of every month and then start again. Would I be able to do it with "windows backup"? Is my backup strategy ok?

Or is there any free open source or low priced software available to do this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Any relevant url's also welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

What operating systems are the servers and are there any applications running on them such as Exchange, SQL or are any of them a Domain Controller? Are the physical or virtual servers?

Windows Backup in 2008 upwards can back up to network drive from what i recall however it overwrites each backup each time. It is designed to backup to local media rather than network media.

If they are virtual servers you could use Unitrends free edition to back them up. That's cheap! Low cost is subjective i guess so it can be hard to recommend other products. Arcserve, Shadowprotect etc are all decent products that can do the job. I would consider them reasonably low cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

The OS is Windows 2008 R2. They have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on it. How to bestIs there any way to use windows native backup for 1 full backup and daily differential backups each day of rest of the month, Automatically delete the full backup and differential backups and start over again

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,
    CA D2D all the way here... :)
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

You could use D2D from ARCserve which is image based backup! Plenty of others competiting in this market i.e Storagecraft and Acronis! Had a few experiences with Acronis and didn't like it all.

Do some shopping!

Advertisement